Author Topic: what is a good wood for portraits?  (Read 1446 times)

wntrrwd

what is a good wood for portraits?
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:48 am »
Getting ready to try to cut a portrait of my kids. What is a good wood and thickness to use? If it works would like to try to frame it. Thanks for any help.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: what is a good wood for portraits?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:31:05 am »
I normally use !/8 or 1/4" Baltic Birch or Oak plywood.

I also virtually NEVER cut a single portrait. I always stack three or four pieces.

Stack Cutting....

OK...what I do when cutting portraits is the following.

Take a minimum of three layers, and place the "prime" one in the middle of the stack.
I use 1/8" BB plywood for the 'extra' pieces in the stack simply because I use FD New Spiral #2/0 blades and do not want any voids in the wood so the blade cuts true and doesn't drag or jump while cutting.
The faces are sanded to 220 grit and the backs at least to 150.
Clamp the edges, one at a time, overhanging the edge of the table and tape the edges with Blue 'delicate' painter's tape so they are well secured.
Spray glue the pattern and apply to the face of the stack. Be sure you rub it down well so it adheres during the whole process.
Then I apply clear 'good' quality packing tape to the face covering the whole pattern and once again rub it down well.

As I am cutting I will drill about 25 or 30 pilot holes at a time and lightly sand the back side to get rid of any 'breakout' from the drill and this also keeps the back side fairly smooth.
When the portrait is done I then sand the back side very well with the 220 to eliminate as many of the 'fuzzies' as possible.

Separate the stack pieces and sand lightly.

Then carefully remove the tape and pattern from the top piece and almost always this is a good portrait as well as the "prime" one from the center of the stack.
Usually the 'bottom' piece is usable as well. Another bonus.

Then I clean up any remaining 'fuzzies' with my set of needle files and an Xacto knife.
Dip the pieces in BLO mix and spray with Satin lacquer.

Now you are ready to mount to the backing of your choice.

You have probably seen that I cut around the outer edges of a of some of my portraits and mount them on black felt backers. That final cut is made by lightly drawing a light pencil guideline around the picture and then cutting carefully with a FD Polar #3 blade.

That 's how I do it....it is not the only way I am sure but this method has served me well.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:31:58 am »
alot of people use BB plywood 1/8" or 1/4" thickness. but there are alot of different plywood's out there to choose from.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

wntrrwd

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:40 am »
Has anyone bought the Baltic Birch Plywood from Menards? About the only place around here that has it.

jim stiek

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:30:41 am »
A friend of mine cut some portraits using 1/8 " maple ply he bought from sloans and I really liked the look better than baltic birch, don't know how the cost compares, baltic birch would be the standard in my opinion
jim

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »
The Baltic birch from menards is good. For detailed projects I prefer to use 1/8 inch ply from Michael's or Joann crafts. The quality is just a little better.

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:58:57 am »
Best quality baltic birch is from sloanswoodshop.com Both 1/8" or 1/4". I get the 12" x 24". Then you get 3 8x10 portrait pieces, and save the scrap for ornaments. Also, great pricing for Olson blades. Been dealing with them for over 5 years, and never had a complaint of quality, or service!

Paul

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:26:22 am »
The Baltic birch from menards is good. For detailed projects I prefer to use 1/8 inch ply from Michael's or Joann crafts. The quality is just a little better.

Interesting as I can't recall ever seeing ANY type of plywood at either Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or the other craft store (just can't recall the name right now).  Will have to stop and take a serious look next time.

I have used 1/8 from Menards as well, but you do have the prepatory work of cutting it to size from a full 4X8 sheet.    Enjoy whichever method you choose.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

daliclimbs

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 10:06:04 am »
I get my ply from ocooch. Great stuff. I have not found any detrimental voids in any of their ply, and I have cut a lot of portraits with it. I usually always use 1/8".. on occasion I will get out some 1/4. But its much easier to frame 1/8".

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:02:52 am »
If you go to the craft stores check in the "woodworking" section. (Try really hard to ignore anything laser cut) or check in the model making area.
It is a pretty nice quality (I haven't ordered from Sloan's, so can compare with his) it is as good or better then what i can buy from Rockler. The price is close at both places and Michael's is closer to my house and has better hours. I also end up spending less on extras if I go to a craft store instead of the woodworking store most of the time

SMF

Teknoromi