Author Topic: New to Me Dewalt 788  (Read 2465 times)

ufgator

New to Me Dewalt 788
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:58:58 pm »
Just got home with a Very slightly used Dewalt 788 with stand, light and to many accessories to list.  Previous owner said it only was used for a couple of hours and it looks and runs like new. Since this forum started I've been wanting to upgrade from my Delta.  It did the job but I knew there was better out there.  For those wanting to upgrade, keep looking on Craig's List because they do show up.  When I saw it for $225.00 I jumped.  He even setteled for $200.00. I'm sure I'll have some questions on this saw and I know you all have the answers.  Hope you have as Great a Day as I have so far.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Joesawdust

Re: New to Me Dewalt 788
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:30 pm »
Sounds like a great deal, enjoy it.
Greg

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:10:32 pm »
Congratulations, you'll enjoy your "new" saw.  I got mine off Craigslist also for $200.00 still in the box.  Seems a death in the family made it available.  No stand but that was easily remedied.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »
Go play the lottery!  Great deal!  You will love it.  I love mine and it is getting to the point where I want to get another one as a 'back up'.  They aren't so inexpensive here in Canada, and my area isn't highly populated so there are 'slim pickins'.  I am very, very happy for you, as I know you will have a great saw! :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »
RATZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

I have been wearing out my keyboard and mouse checking 'craigslist'!

Only thing so far is a slightly used Excalibur I am haggling over. Virtually new but he wants too much for it without access to a warranty and no local service shop!

If I don't get it then i will hold out for the DeWalt.

~~~GrayBeard~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »
congrats on the new upgrade, you will certainly enjoy scrolling now. i got mine a few months ago and been smiling every since, its like driving a cadillac compared to my old one.   :)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 11:07:44 pm »
Hey gator,
Now that you have a DeWalt learn to feed the blade from the top instead of the bottom. Remove the bottom guard, it will make top feeding much easier.
Dan In Southern California

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:09:19 pm »
I tilt my table and get the bottom end in first.  Then all subsequent on and off are handled above the table. 
What bottom guard are you referring to dgman?
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »
Bud, there is a thin vertical bar that sits in front of the lower blade clamp. It is attached with two torks screws, one on top and one on the bottom. It's there to protect your fingers if the saw is running. When I feed the blade from above, I reach down and tighten the lower blade clamp without looking. The lower guard gets in the way. So I removed it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:40:45 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

tgaspard

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:38:00 am »
Congrats on the new Dewalt!!!!  I had been wanting one for a couple of years when we lived in Louisiana but could never find one for sell on craigslist.  So when we moved here to Arkansas I just one day happened to look at craigslist and there it was.  Although I paid 350.00 for mine for only a couple of hours of use like you did. I still love it.  The man that had it said he used to live in Arizona and he only cut a cpl of things on it and said he didn't have the patience to scroll with it.  Mine did not come with a light but when you have a shop that is 30X40 and it takes 2 light switches to turn on all the lights in there I figured I didn't really need a light...LOL. 

Enough, of my babbling.  Great job on the find.  Maybe one day I can find Joe one on craiglist that way we can have 5 scroll saws in our shop...LOL....

Tonya

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:43:09 pm »
Thanks dgman.

....And I'll confess I never noticed that there before.  The way I change blades, by tilting the table, I have never been obstructed by it.  I have no recollection why I do it that way but since it works for me I don't expect to change anything.  If it's there as a safety device then I'd just as soon leave it anyway. 

I'm no prude but it ain't broke I not going to fix it.

Thanks for opening the discussion anyway, I learned something and that's GOOD.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Marshall

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 11:58:27 pm »
I wish I could have got a good deal like you did , I'm one of those suckers that gave full price and still didn't get a good deal > best deal going right now for a new one is Grizzly's > $449.95 plus shipping > comes with the light & stand . Mine's 4 years old and the only problem I've had was > blew one fuse one time and that's it ........congrats on the saw > nothing like it either > love mine .......Marshall  ;)

Mytoya

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 01:08:39 pm »
You will have even more fun with your Dewalt if you go to the page listed below and order an Jim dandy arm lifter upper. and a foot peddle.

http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html.

I have on my saw. It makes scrolling so much easier if you don't have to hold up the arm while trying to put the blade in the hole.
 Go check it out........
 Happy Scrolling!

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:16:00 pm »
I agree with Mytoya!  I have the arm lift and it is great.  I don't use the foot pedal because sometimes I stand and sometimes I sit.  I guess it depends on how you saw. But by all means, get the arm lift! It is a great addition and simple and easy to install.

Happy sawing!  Sheila 8)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

ufgator

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 04:39:15 pm »
Mytoya; thanks for the tip but that was included in the deal I got along with about 20 dz. blades and to many other items to list.  I do like the arm lift so far.  seems having to hold it up would be a task.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

SMF

Teknoromi