Author Topic: Scrap Wood?  (Read 5322 times)

Lydia

Scrap Wood?
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:34:02 pm »
My husband laughs at me because I keep all the scrap wood that falls onto the floor.  He tells me it's too small to use.  I'm sure one day I'll find a use for it! 
How small is too small to keep?  What do I do with it?  Do I really throw it away?!?

Yes, I'm a packrat.  :)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Scrap Wood?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »
Earrings, pendants, keychain ornaments, etc. As long as it doesn't fall thru the opening on the saw MY scrap gets saved for future use.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:01 pm »
And you never know when you might need a piece 1/8" x 2" for a filler strip or something.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:13:40 pm »
Someone said in another post, "If the ShopVac won't take it, its a keeper".  I agree.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »
I have 4 apple boxes full of "scraps"  I find a use for them all the time..ask him if you toss out his sockets that aren't being used right now?  LOL
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:40:56 pm »
I read your post and wondered if I had blacked out and wrote it myself!!  We just had that discussion here a couple of weeks ago!  I used to live in the Chicago area, where stores and wood was cheap and plentiful.  Now, living here in Nova Scotia, I am three hours from Halifax and the nearest hard wood supplier (although the store is awesome!).  I only get there a couple of times a year and I drive a Ford Mustang so I usually need to get my boyfriend's dad to let us use his SUV.  At least my BF is now interested in scroll sawing and woodworking and he is even designing his own patterns (I think he got the bug!) so he has more of an understanding.  The more he does, the more he sees the 'value' in what people call 'scraps'.  He isn't totally convinced yet though, and still puts a price on each scrap ("that piece is only worth two dollars", etc.) But now he is starting to do segmentation and I noticed that he isn't throwing quite as much out. :)  In fairness to him, we do have a small place, but I look at anything larger than a match stick twice before I throw it out! ;)

"Waste not, want not!"

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »
If you start glueing them together you will have a really cool piece to work with

scrollsaw

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:33:26 pm »
thanks for the info everybody
chuck

Lydia

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »
Thank you!!  Now I don't feel like a crazy person.  w00h00!

off topic ... I'm so excited.  I tried stack cutting for the first time today.  And it wasn't a total disaster!  I've had a productive day.  :D

You all are awesome.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:32 pm »
Please don't get down on me but I had to throw out two barrels full of scraps this last weekend. :-\  I just don't have room for it all!!
Dan In Southern California

cherie

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:29:28 am »
Scraps...now what would we woodworkers be without those?  I like everyone's ideas here.  I do not have room for mine either, that is why it is here and there and every where.  LOL.

Dawie

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 08:35:28 am »
I have a very small room, but try to keep as many scraps as possible. Sometimes I throw something in the wastebag and fish it out again to make sure it really is not usable anymore. At least I got my nephew to over up his broomcupboard for extra storage, he thinks I am crazy, but he at least let me use it. ::)
David

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 08:59:11 am »
I store my scraps in old salt bags I get for my water softener.  The conform to odd places and are waterproof themselves.  Hey, works for me.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Dustyknees

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 01:18:25 pm »
I keep all my scrap wood for when the grandkid comes on the weekend. We do a fire in the pit(let all the glue and paper burn off first) and do S'mores and hot dogs..She loves it,calls it camping,LOL.

Offline lwsjc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 01:46:45 pm »
I don't know what you are talking about.  Scrap?   

Larry

SMF

Teknoromi