Author Topic: Picture on wood  (Read 4933 times)

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
Re: Picture on wood
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:29 pm »
Here is another way of getting pictures onto wood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuMtlZmyHKk&feature=related
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 06:30:48 pm »
That works pretty nice, too bad it won't work with ink jet.  :(
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
Gabby,
I agree with Roger. The second thing I read you are doing is using Masonite, wood chips/saw dust with an adhesive binder. This will also help prevent the ink from soaking into the wood. You need to used just plain old wood to make it work the way they are doing it. They acrylic medium just helps in the transfer.

Hi Russ,
What I've found so far is the caulk absorbs some of the paint and the image is retained. The ink doesn't necessarily have to penetrate the wood since it is on top of the acrylic. You might be able to get some grain to show through if the caulk is thin enough. Since I'm making this as a sign I just painted the background white as the sign is designed to be red (the letters) white (background) blue (the border).
I was hoping this would be a good way to put a pattern on wood for cutting but once the caulk has finally set you would play hobb getting it off.

Printing onto plastic film has a better potential for that. IF we can be sure it won't bead up. My mind works as I type (sometimes ::)) and I'm thinking about printing onto alluminum on the non-shiny side
sort of making a printers block only flexible and printed rather than etched.
I'll go try than and let you know how it works out.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »
OK so that didn't work so well I had to use the 3M spray glue since the glue stick didn't hold the aluminum at all. Had a few wrinkles but rubbed them out with a serving spoon.
Printed the same revolver so I'd be able to see if it improved or not.
NOT! I could see it was beading up before I tried to print it on the card stock (backside of the first test) Roy isn't the only one with Scottish blood. Not Scotch blood but I've had a bit of that too!LOL
Waste not want not!
Where was I ?
Oh yeah beading up. The brown for the grips barely came through and the rest of it was worse than the bad test on plastic. So scrap the crap. Next idea, when I think of it.
So now you know what won't work unless you are looking for something that sort of looks like Crackle Finish.
I hope you found this informative and of some small value.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 12:17:33 am »
OK,
Last night I used glossy photo paper to transfer the pattern to the caulk. Left it over night to finish cureing.

Today started spraying with water from one of those little hand pumped spray bottles. I Rubbed and rubbed and nothing happened, nada, zip.
Scraped it with a razor blade scraper, still nada! Finally made a little cut into the back of the paper, the darn stuf had a thin transparent plastic film, peeled that off and tried again. Boy that paper is TOUGH!!! Probably took an hour of rubbing, even used one of those pot scrubbers with the sponge inside made for use on teflon pans. I got most of it off, maybe a thin layer here and there, no finger prints left on my fingers though.  :o  ;D 

Up shot is the ink was pastel after the transfer, came through pretty clear but too pale, so I'm hand coloring over the print with permanent markers similar to Sharpies. Then I'll seal it with some clear spray just to be sure since it will be used out of doors.

This concludes for now my experiments with the acrylic caulk medium.
Next will be finding a good transfer film that won't let the ink bead up I'd really like to be able to transfer patterns directly to the wood for cutting without going through all the fuss of tapeing and so on. A line 2 to 5 pixels wide will be mostly gone if I can stay on the line, of course I can back up and cut some more to make sure it's gone.  ;D

I hope this has been informative, that is one of the main reasons I did these experiments. I'd still like to see a photo transfer that came out as well as the demo video I watched.
Maybe some day???????????
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

tux_linux

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 06:22:52 am »
How about some photos of your results? It's hard to imagine the outcome.

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 08:33:46 pm »

Gabby.
This guy shows what materials he uses at the end of the video
Here is the link.
Jim

http://youtu.be/H3Lb3jdjFW0

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
This looks real interesting I may just give it a try in the very near future.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 09:38:06 pm »
How about some photos of your results? It's hard to imagine the outcome.

Sorry Torsten, you will just have to use your imagination, I didn't take any photos this time.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi