Author Topic: Aileens Tacky Glue....  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Aileens Tacky Glue....
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:07 am »
Well after reading several of ya's that use this glue I did run across it at Good Ole Walley World.  $1.79 for 4 oz.  Had a small project going so decided to give it a test.  Maybe there could be something I did WRONG.
Well I applied it and clamped it and even forgot about it till this morning.
Bad, bad, bad, bad glue.  After un-clamping I just held it in my hand and of course pulled a lil and Wow!  It just fell apart!!!!  Was gluing cedar.  Any thots would be great.  Thanks....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Chachi

Re: Aileens Tacky Glue....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:58 am »
well first off you got it from Wally World so no telling how old it is

Second was it a clean spot where you applied the glue (sometimes I myself forget to wipe off the dust and it doesn't stick well)

Third did you apply enough of the glue to the area...

These are just my thoughts on it because other then those I have no clue why it did not work for you.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
Wow Danny, I have never had a failure with tacky glue. Tell me exactly what was glued, was it a box? A backer board, What exactly?
As far as age of the glue, I have been using a bottle that was about two year old. I don't know if this stuff goes bad.
Give us more details.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:33:21 am »
Aileens has about 6-7 different types of glue too.  Some are re-positionable or temporary bonds.  What is the full name of the product?  This might be the problem.  However if it was at ww as already mentioned it could be old product as well.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »
Cedar has some oils in it that make it hard to glue. Besides making sure that the dust has been wiped off, you might want to wipe it down with mineral spirits or alcohol to dry out the oils just before applying the glue.
I have never used this glue so I can't comment on it. For permanent glue-ups, I stick to Titebond. (pun intended) Either  Titebond I, II or III depending on where the project will end up.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

shutterbugdm

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:25:10 pm »
I use Aileens Tacky glue for projects that have layers that needed to be glued on top of one another (see attachement) and stained. You have to stain the wood first prior to gluing as Aileens will not stain but it dries clear after staining.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:00:52 pm »
I really appreaciate all your thots....  The lil bottle has a PURPLE banner with the Aleene's name in the middle.  Says its a Clear Gel.  Transparent.  Has Directions for other countries. 

I also Believe 100% in using Titebond bland glues. 

I also believe that a GOOD PRODUCT will cost more and Aileens to me is down right Cheap. 

My Cedar project Was Sanded Good and Wiped down Good before appling the glue. 

Dan the pieces I TRIED to glue together were 2 inch round 3/4" discs.

Anyway gang I WILL NOT use this product again.  Later....  Danny  :+}

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:43:48 pm »
Hey Danny, What you have is not what I use. The clear gel is not the tacky glue. I have never tried the gel. The tacky glue is white and real thick. It comes in a brown bottle.
I use Titebond for gluing up panels and general wood working. For scroll saw projects I use the tacky glue.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:35 pm »
Well Golly Gee Whiz!  There is still LIGHT ahead....  Yea!  Thanks Dan and I shall keep searching for the RIGHT type of Aileens glue.  Where?  Danny :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »
Alene's Tacky Glue  is like a REAL Thick version of the ol' standby...Elmer's Glue.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:39:08 pm »
Well Golly Gee Whiz!  There is still LIGHT ahead....  Yea!  Thanks Dan and I shall keep searching for the RIGHT type of Aileens glue.  Where?  Danny :+}
Craft stores like Micheal's or hobby Lobby.

Chachi

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »
Dan this is what you need to look for It does come in diffrent sizes but this is what the bottle looks like.

http://www.michaels.com/Aleene%27s%C2%AE-Original-Tacky-Glue%C2%AE/gc0040,default,pd.html

SheGold

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »
I used Aileens this morning finishing the 4th dreamcatcher.. Will post a picture shortly.. Great stuff... Glued beads to dreamcatcher and leather to the wood feathers..  Sheila in Texas

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:23:06 am »
Thank Yas Chachi for the Picture of the Tacky Glue.  You guys done got me a lil excited about using this stuff.  Later....  Danny  :+}

Chachi

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 10:39:06 am »
Your very welcome Danny I know it has been said before but I will say it again this Glue is awesome if given time to dry and cure it will break some other place before it breaks where it is glued with this glue... Let us know the results of your glue and what you think of it now that you know the right kind to use.... again your welcome Danny.

SMF

Teknoromi