Author Topic: What do you consider the ONE most important thing in using a scrollsaw?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Is it speed, blade choice, pushing on the wood to get it to cut, blade squareness to the table, etc.????

I think my vote would be for TENSION!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Tough question. probably will get a lot of different answers. I think for me it is learning how to make the blade not cut. Learning to make quick turns while not letting the blade continue to cut. Learning to use the side and back of the blade to pivot while the blade is not cutting is one of the last skills that most new scrollers learn. As a matter of fact many scrollers just start doing it without even recognizing what they are doing. Once you have this skill your control gets much better.

garyinnevada

Steve has a good point. I cut for years before I realized I was doing this.

Everything you listed is equally important. When you combine them all together you're an accomplished Scroller!

Joesawdust

I'd agree everything listed is equally important, but most importantly in my book would be to be patient in your learning of these skills and not give up.

Greg

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Yes I would agree it is all equally important. Plus the three P's. Patients, Practice, Persistance.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
This goes along with everyone's answer.  The most important thing for me is practice. I had a lot of trouble with proper tension like Graybeard mentioned.  But once I got a feel for my machine I stopped thinking about what tension to use.  I am still a novice but the more I cut, the better I get.

Barry

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
I agree with what others have already contributed. I would add, it is extremely important to learn not to be so critical of your work.  Remember how many people you make smile with your gifts.  They do not see the flaws only the good intention.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

patch

watch your fingers  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

cherie

I am with everyone on the board here so far.  Especially with Mike when he states not to criticize your work so much.  Only you will see the tiniest flaw, that is only because you know where it is.  I have made mistakes and broke pieces off that could not be glued back together without looking really bad.  I have learned just to clean up the area, stand back and look really hard at the where broke area was.  Not too bad.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
Hey Patch, where did you get the plans for that cut??

Dustyknees

Re: What do you consider the ONE most important thing in using a scrollsaw?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »
I too tend to be very critical of my cutting. I try to picture the finished piece rather than the pattern-covered wood I'm working on. Many times I thought something looked terrible till I peeled the paper bits away at the end and found something to be proud of..Also..The right blade for the wood you're cutting is very important..Jon

Vince

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 01:36:14 pm »
     When cutting wood down, so it will work on the scroll saw, count your fingers when your done. I can only count to 9 7/8 because of this. ( I hit four fingers - but the 7/8 was gone.)
     I've been making saw dust since I was 13 - I'm 62 now and this happened 6 years ago.
I know what your thinking -Dummy ! Your SO right.

Vince

Firedkm

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:13:26 pm »
I am actually surprised that I have not seen Eye protection listed yet! If you dont have your eyes it may be very difficult to scroll! ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:15:55 pm by Firedkm »

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 04:42:20 pm »
I'm supprised that no one mentioned COMFORT! I know for me, if I'm not sitting (or standing) in a comfortable position, scrolling becomes an effort. Every thing seems to go easier and better if your feet (or other parts of your body) are not in pain.
When my back starts to ache, it is harder and harder to make nice cuts in the wood. So, I take five, grab a bottle of water, stroll around the shop or house or yard for five minutes or so and when I get back to the saw "Things go better with a rest"  ;D (I think Coke stole my saying  :D)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »
I too am in agreement with everything I have read here. I especially agree with the don't be to critical of your own work advice. I do it as a hobby and give everything away and it is gratifying to see how pleased people are that you would take the time to make something just for them.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

SMF

Teknoromi