Author Topic: Storing Wood  (Read 2526 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: Storing Wood
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:13:55 pm »
I've organized my wood two or three times but my problem is I always use it the next day  ::) ::) ::)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

mikeh53

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:08 am »
Well? I guess I prepare and use.  We have lots of hardwood forest in our area; I buy rough cut Oak and poplar, walnut and other local hardwoods by the pallet from the Amish Auction? normally fresh from the saw mill and normally wet and cheep!  ($40 $50 pallet?) The wood is normally about 8-12 inches wide from ? - 2 inches thick. 10-16 ft long ( I normally buy the mixed pallets not really paying much attention to the types of wood in it? it varies depending on what the mill is cutting at the time. 

Using 2x6 & 3/4 inch bolts... I built Racks 8 foot wide hanging from the trusses in my pole barn and place the wood on those 5 racks with lots of spacers? Stacked about 5 ft deep.  It gets HOT up in the top of the pole barn in the summer? I do get a little checking, cupping and splitting? (Those boards get cut up and burned in the wood stove which has a huge appetite during the cold months)

I rotate using wood from the racks depending on how long I have had it? the one I am working out of now has been on the rack about 3 years? and is good and dry?  I am going through a lot more wood now that I am working in the shop more and working on our church? especially of the thin stuff now? that I have taken up scrolling? will have to go for a new load soon and be more picky. (So far My roofline in the pole barn is still not sagging)

When I get a project I want to do? I choose a likely looking board and plain it to the desired thickness and use

Like for Christmas ornaments this year? I pulled down a piece about ? thick of red oak about 10 inches wide 16 foot long and planed it down to about ? thick on my plainer? was beautiful!  Cut it up into smaller pieces with my chop saw and it lasted most of the month?

I also get slab firewood at the saw mill (cut off?s)  Burn a lot!  Get it by the trailer load for the fire in the house or shop,  Whenever I see walnut, good looking spalting, winge sassafras or any board for that matter that has good looking grain I rescue it from the burn pile and throw it in the stack I have in the barn to dry. 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »
With me it is a system of three shelves...

1. Plywood, marked by cards between face types, BB/ Oak/ Maple/ etc.
2. Narrower Hardwood boards and a box of off fall/scraps.
3. Wider Hardwood boards, again marked by cards as to type.

Seems to be working so far. Will see how my "major garage re-design" either helps or destroys the system!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:29:09 pm »
I'm with Dan! Organization?  ::) That's a dirty word! ;D If I can find it that's org, orga, organ, organized! Whew!! :)

Heh heh....he said "organ"

tux_linux

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 04:58:45 pm »
I rearrange & cleaned my wood shop tonight - I got much more space now and will set up 2 more racks - one for "the stuff" and one for scroll saw wood :-)

regards
Torsten

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 09:26:23 pm »
hmmm...I guess I am not as far behind as I thought I was. I have most of my small "scraps" in a plastic drawer unit. Mostly sorted by thickness. That has been working well for me, so far.
I like the look of the rack that Bill made. I think I am going to make one under my bench. I had been stacking pieces under my bench, but they like to fall over a lo. The rack would help out a lot.

Thanks for sharing all of your ideas!!
MrsN

SMF

Teknoromi