Author Topic: Storing Wood  (Read 2525 times)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Storing Wood
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:33:09 pm »
How do all of you store your supply of wood?
I am looking for ideas to make my shop more orginized, and looking around that would be a good place to start.
Thanks for any ideas!
Mrs.N

marmoh

Re: Storing Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:49:52 pm »
When I ordered form Sloan's she told me to keep it in the house not the garage.  I have the bigger pieces in a stack on the floor in my office.  Seems like the whole house is ending up being "my shop"!!
I also find to keep things flat and out of the way is under the bed (women's point of view ???

Bill P

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 05:55:37 pm »
I built a little shelf system that slid into a nook in my office.  Hopefully, I've attached the photo correctly.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:41:42 pm »
You mean you are suppose to keep it organized!? :o
Dan In Southern California

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »
I have OCD.

Also, ADD-HD.  It's hard to pay attention, but when I do it's with crystal clarity.

Bill

marmoh

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:54:06 pm »
Good idea Bill...I have a book shelf in the office...I could rearrange some books and make a spot to put the smaller pieces to keep them organized.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »
Here is how  handle some of my longer stuff (up to 60" long) it's on wheels.

And then I have several stacks of the smaller material sitting around the shop.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Marshall

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »
I keep most of my long/wide un-planned dryed saw-mill material stored like Rog does above . I stack my BB Plywood underneath the work-bench in my shop which is un-heated un-less I'm going to work in it - then I heat it up . I don't have any moisture problems with my woodworking materials , maybe it depends on the building your working in .........Also my shop is not the neatest for it's a woodworking shop -sawdust everywhere ............

boxmaker

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:31:10 pm »
Mrs.N, I have been trying to find the best way to store my lumber for over 30 years, and I am still trying. Bill I wish my lumber was as neat as yours. I did build a shelf similar to what your pic is for my small plywood, and it works well. I then I built a stationary cabinet (not on wheels) similar to Rogers, but with slots for my larger sheets of plywood, and I store my rough cut lumber on a set of shelves I bought from a hardware store going out of business. I always thought about building a set of racks that hang down from the ceiling to free up some of my wall space, but never have. The one fault I have is I cannot seem to throw any wood away, so my shelves that looked neat when I started, become a mess. I hope this helps you out.

Mark

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 08:58:46 pm »
Best store flat and in a dry place, my wood turning wood I keep in the back of my work shop and the stuff for scroll work I keep in my work shop, as I cut all my wood my self I keep the bulk stuff in my garden shed, to hell with the garden
Jimbo

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:52:43 am »
I store planks and such overhead in my garage shop, small pieces destined for the scrollsaw in a box under my planer, odds and ends and cutoffs in between the studs in the garage walls, and wood I am air drying (Monkeypod, Camphor, and Indian Rosewood from local trees) in stacks with stickers in between in my storage shed outside the garage.  In other words all over the place!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:47:17 am »
Best store flat and in a dry place

I totally agree on this. My Wood is in a rack - kind of sorted. Big boards are leaning at a door (spare part - not in use  ;) ), keeping the boards flat and nice.

regards
Torsten

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 01:21:45 pm »
I'm with Dan! Organization?  ::) That's a dirty word! ;D If I can find it that's org, orga, organ, organized! Whew!! :)

When I went looking for a piece of cedar I knew exactly where it was...just took me two days to find it!  :) It was right where I left it  ;D

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:09:35 pm »
Mine is stored in my shop on racks I built.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 06:36:00 pm »
I keep my woods stored really organized (at least in my mind), there's some in my shop, some in the garage and some in the hobby area. But I know its one of those three!
Bill

SMF

Teknoromi