Author Topic: Speed problem on 788  (Read 2041 times)

txwoodrat

Speed problem on 788
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:38:28 pm »
 :( Hi all, this is my first post and it is a little problem with my 788.  It's not a year old yet and cut beautifully but I can't run it at full speed, the 8 setting.  It vibrates and is very noisey.  Runs perfect until I turn it up to 8.  Any suggestions?

Bill P

Re: Speed problem on 788
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:58:33 pm »
Has it always been like that, or is it a new development?

Bill

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:22:06 am »
I have had my DW for over 10 years and although I rarely run the saw that fast, it does tend to make more noise and vibrate a bit at that speed.  I think it just reaches a certain frequency and resonance when it is at a high speed and it is the nature of the beast.  I will be interested in what the other DW owners have to say about this too.  As I said though, I never see a need to run the saw at full speed so I don't see it as a problem for myself.

I hope this helps.  Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:31:10 am »
I agree with Sheila, I never run mine at full speed. And yes, it does vibrate more at top speed. I'm on my second DW788, and I teach scroll saw at the local Woodcraft, and they all do the same thing.
I think if you have to run your saw at full speed, you may be using the wrong blade.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:32:41 am »
Mine, though much more recent than Sheila's, does the same thing. Crank it wide open and it makes noise and shakes.
Same solution, NEVER run it wide open. When I have done so for a quick cutoff ot something it cuts OK, just sounds horrible!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Bill P

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:56:39 am »
I kind of wanted to say it's like that story where the patient tells his doctor, "It hurts when I do this" and the doctor say, "Don't do that."

I just wanted to be more P.C.

Bill

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 02:33:06 pm »
 I have never run the saw at that high speed, really don't think it is necessary, I find that 1/2 that speed is good.  Edward

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:53:17 pm »
I recently was moving things around in my shop and used my saw before it was totally bolted down. I was trying to see if it was at the right height since I got a new stool. The saw made a ton of noise and vibrated a lot, it all went away as soon as it was bolted secure to the table. That may help with your saw.
MrsN

chief

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:10:28 pm »
Read here for the Dewalt tune-up and repairs.  It explains some things that cause the knock and how to fix them.

http://scrollsaws.com/

Sorry bout that.  Forgot the link.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:35:45 am by chief »

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 12:18:56 am »
Chief, you said "read here" in your last post.  Did you mean to include a hyperlink in your message?
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SMF

Teknoromi