Author Topic: Excalibur height  (Read 4808 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Excalibur height
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 09:12:20 pm »
Oh come on Russ, It's Friday!
Dan In Southern California

Bill P

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »
Okay, I just confirmed the height information, and found what I believe to be the perfect stool.  I bought one that looks like an old tractor saddle-type seat, overstuffed, on wheels.  If I set my overall height of the saw's table at 35-37 inches, my feet will be flat on the floor, with my back straight (like GB).  I'm only 5'5" (dynamite comes in small packages) so these measurements are great for me.  I'll be ergonomically correct, even if I'm not politically correct.

Now, where's my saw!?

Bill

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 10:52:40 pm »
As an aside: I had a boss for 10 years who was the absolute Master of Sarcasm (I learned a lot) and if I get sarcastic you will certainly know it in a heartbeat!

Huggzzzzzzz to all!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

I have a bumper sticker on the front of my 'Beer Box' that says.....

"Sarcasm....Just one more service I offer"

Also one that says....

Anger management graduate......What the hell YOU lookin' at?

I really need to develop a sence of humor someday.  ;D

Rog

PS. Those are the nicest ones that I can post on a family site  ;D
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 07:24:28 am »
I have the EX21, it is exactly 37 3/4" to the table top.  The varience of 35 - 37 inches is due to the adjustable feet for leveling.  I am 5'4" and it is just right, whether I am standing or sitting on a stool.  I tend to stand most of the time.  I have a spinal disease called ankylosing spondilosis (my spine is fusing together) and an artificial hip so sitting for any length of time is hard.  I stiffen up too bad.
As far as tilting the table, on the EX30, I don't recommend it.  You have a great expanse of table there and It's just not necessary.  Especially when you start dealing with bevel cuts and tilting your arm.  Try it both ways and see what you get.  I didn't like it.  I tried it after reading about it here and found it to be not necessary.
The two accessories I will recommend are the magnifying light that mounts to the upper arm and a foot pedal.  If you choose to sit, simply run a board across the beams of your stand and use it there.  I have heard all kinds of opinions on the lights attached to the saw and I can assure you, your saw will not vibrate the light enough to be bothersome.

Bill P

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 10:08:44 am »
Without trying to sound anal about the hobby, I'm trying to get as ready as possible for the arrival of the saw.  I don't have a lot of time to scroll, so I want to get right to it when the time comes.  I've been doing things like shopping for the stool, and studying up on the type of lighting I want.  It looks to me like the "magnifier work lamp" by Seyco would be useful.

The foot switch is coming with the saw, so I'm good there.

You wanna hear something that made me angry?  Lisa (the world's greatest wife) ordered and paid for the saw on 10/6, but the people didn't order it from General until the 19th.  We just found out yesterday.

Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »
Wow, Bill.  Was that through Seyco??  Ray is usually right on top of stuff like that.  I bought mine from him and still stop and see him when I go to see my son.  Rockwall is just outside of Dallas and my son lives in the next town down the freeway.  Good idea to plan ahead.  And the light that Seyco sells is perfect.  It attaches to the left side of the upper arm and I couldn't do without it.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 02:38:31 pm »
What is the advantage of the magnifying light if I can see ok? Doesn't it get in the way when changing holes.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 02:44:53 pm »
Hey Judy, I can't saw without my magnifying light and yes, it does get in the way when changing holes. But with mine, I just swing it to the left, change the hole, then just swing the light back. It just takes a second.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 05:34:54 pm »
Whether you can see or not (I can't), a magnifying light helps.  If you bottom feed, the light moves with the arm so it is not in the way.  If you top feed and don't want to look through the magnifyer - just move it.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »
I may have to give it a try.  Julie, what do you attach it to it moves with the arm?  any chance of a photo?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 07:01:47 pm »
I have a magnifying light and I would be lost without it. It really has helped improve my accuracy of the cut. Mine mounts to the stand I made.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 07:17:21 pm »
Hey Judy, Here's how mine is mounted.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:22:27 pm by dgman »

Bill P

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 08:52:47 pm »
Pretty nifty, Dan.

Bill

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 11:23:10 pm »
That looks like I might be able to rig that up.  But HOW do you keep your shop so dust free???
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 01:16:04 am »
I don't need a magnifying light as I have several pairs of glasses of different strengths, however I have a light with a 100watt bulb I can move around to where I need it and I also like to sit on a high seat with my feet just touching the ground this is for my own personal comfort
Jimbo 

SMF

Teknoromi