Author Topic: My first show  (Read 2418 times)

Bill P

My first show
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:42:28 am »
I?m about to do my first show, a Christmas Bazaar on Nov 20th, that will have about a dozen vendors, none of them showing any woodworking.  I have a table, a small Christmas tree on a lazy Susan, and a 3? x 4? ?wall? to hang shelves and such.  I?ll have about a 20 completed projects like clocks, shelves, picture frames, etc, as well as about 30 ornaments (thus the rotating tree).  I?ll have my portfolio, order forms for custom orders, handouts for ?after the sale wood care,? business cards, and change.  Am I forgetting anything?

I appreciate the fact that many of you have the knowlege/experiance on this issue that I don't have.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: My first show
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »
How about a drape for your table and "wall" ?  Other than that it sounds like you have it all tiogether PANKY  :D
I'm from North Dakota

Bill P

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:49:53 pm »
I've done that. 

Buck Wheat.  ;D

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:14:39 pm »
Change....bottle of water. and more product...Camera.  30 ornaments...perhaps 120 would be more like it.  The greater the variety, the more likely you are going to make a sale.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »
Don't forget your business cards.  It sounds like you're about ready.  I agree with Dunk,  more ornaments - it is, after all, a "Christmas Bazaar".

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:14:02 pm »
good luck Bill lets know how you get on, and yes the more variety the better it give more chance of a sale
Jimbo

Bill P

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »
Thank you, everyone.  I've taken all your advice to heart.

Bill

northie66

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:57:59 pm »
Do Christmas Bazaars require you to collect sales tax?  Is it a simple process to get the sales tax id #?

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »
Very few will require you to have your tax ID.  It just takes a phone call to get one.

northie66

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 06:50:40 pm »
Julie - Do you have to keep scrupulous records of sales receipts and such?

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:37:57 pm »
I think the tax ID thing varies from state to state.  We have to Prove Tax ID to get into a show and each show is required to report the names of all venders.  As stated before I have had the tax people come and purchase a small item just to test whether I was charging sales tax or not.  Depends on your application whether you have to file the sales tax form monthly, quarterly biannually, or yearly.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 06:41:17 am »
I keep so-so records.  The big advantage is I buy my materials tax exempt.  Since I do use all of this as a business, I show it on my income tax.  Now I can deduct my tools, blades, bits, etc. 
I do have to distinguish between taxable and non taxable sales.  Since I sell through a galery and a gift shop, they collect the tax and report it.  They get a percentage of my asking price.  At a show, I include tax in the price of an item and post a sign that says "All prices include sales tax".  When I file my report, I just divide out the tax from that show.
It sounds confusing but your comptroller's office is usually very helpful if you have questions.  I have called them many times asking about things that confused me.
There is also a record book available at the office supply that is most helpful.  It helps you code your purchases and sales as far as taxable and non taxable.  For instance,  lumber is tax exempt but blades are not.  Next time you are in an office supply, check it out.

northie66

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 08:01:56 am »
Does collecting tax change your personal tax returns?  Do you then have to claim the sales as income?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:05:48 pm by Janet »

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:52 am »
Yes, you do declare it as income.  But remember, you also deduct your materials, tools, consumables, anything you need for the show, travel, booth rental, etc.  It can easily come out as a deduction instead of a penalty.  You have a regular job, this is something you do on the side.  One big purchase of a tool and you have a business loss instead of a gain.  It can come out in your favor.
I do a show in New Mexico, it's a 12 hour drive, I charge gas, campground (I take my camper) etc. as an expense.  I would be going to New Mexico anyway to see my granddaughter.  I stay a week to visit and work one day on the show.  Trip paid for!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 11:27:33 am »
Hey Julie, Did I forget to tell you That I work for the IRS? :o

Just Kidding!! ::)
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi