Author Topic: A "How-To" question on making crafts???  (Read 2555 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: A "How-To" question on making crafts???
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 11:30:53 am »
By placing the dado in you give greater gluing surface and alleviate the problem of two tone stains.  You always have a clean surface to glue too.  Place the dado after staining of course.  You can do stop dadoes as well.  Make the base slightly longer than the "craft" piece and insert it into dado, or use wooden dowels and they 2 parts will never come apart.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 12:11:18 pm »
I use Tightbond I, II, or III on all of my items including furniture and I have NEVER had a failure on anything!
I really believe that you stained or finished the glue area before gluing. If you will just put some painters tape over the intended glue area before staining or finishing and then remove the tape just before gluing you will NOT have anymore problems.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 03:41:01 pm »
Sam I use a product called "ALEEN'S TACKY GLUE". Its very thick and will hold pieces in place while it dries, and it dries clear. I have used it to glue things after I have applied linseed oil. I use it to glue all my scroll saw projects and have never had a failure. You can get it at craft stores like Micheal's.
Dan In Southern California

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 08:33:24 pm »
I put blue tape over the place on both the base and the item before staining.  That keeps the wood fresh and the glue penetrates it.  Good Luck

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 12:04:35 am »
Try epoxy resin Sam the 2 pot mix, and clamp lightly
Jimbo

SamCec

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 04:33:46 am »
You folks gave me a lot of good suggestions. Now I need to figure out what works best for me.

Thanks,
Sam

SMF

Teknoromi