Author Topic: A "How-To" question on making crafts???  (Read 2556 times)

SamCec

A "How-To" question on making crafts???
« on: October 02, 2010, 03:30:38 am »
I am trying to gain my experience by making crafts. Many of these crafts will be placed on a table, desk etc.

In addition to the actual design, I make a base for the item. Depending on the item, the base usually varies between 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch thick. An example is below.

To attach the base, I have been using a glue called Titebond #3. I notice after a month or two, I think because of the humidity in the air, the glue loosens up and the two pieces become separated.

I was thinking about using screws or staples. If I go with staples, I will buy an air-gun. Can anyone recommend the best way to accomplish a more permanent seal of the base to the craft? In your reply can you specify the name of products I should look into?

Thanks,
Sam

juvy

Re: A "How-To" question on making crafts???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:12:04 am »
I don't like screws...... I like everything wood.... so I use dowels and wood glue..... any brand will do.

Juvy

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 04:24:27 am »
I make the base the same size (length) as the project. I then cut a groove in base down the middle, the same thickness as the project 1/8" deep. So if you used 1/2" wood to make the top, the groove would be 1/2" wide 1/8" deep the length of the base. The groove gives more surface area for the glue to hold.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

jon

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:49:55 am »
russ and juvy both have good ideas but personaly if it were me i would glue them in place then shoot a few brads threw the bottom of the base this way you get the bonding you want and the brads are never seen.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:13:19 am »
i also cut a groove with my router then add a little glue and set the item in the groove and let it set.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 06:47:24 am »
The problem with pneumatic brads or staples is overshooting or cracking the piece.  I have thought I was right where I should be and flipped it over to find my brad nail has either diverted and come out the side of my top piece or I missed all together.  Titebond should not be loosening up - that is what I use on outdoor projects because it is weatherproof.

SamCec

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 07:08:21 am »
Julief: I made a jig so that it fits over the top of the craft. After I apply the Titebond, I place the jig on and then use clamps to hold the pieces together for about 4 to 6 hours. I have had 2 crafts separate within 6 weeks of gluing them. I must be doing something wrong????

Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 07:34:20 am »
Sam - it sounds like you are doing everything right.  I am the worst about not keeping things clamped long enough but I have never had one seperate - even in the rain.  Maybe someone else has the answer.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 07:39:59 am »
All the ones I have assembled have been glued with Locktite Super Glue Jel. A thin bead on the bottom of the piece and then clamped to the base for at least 3 hours. Haven't had one separate in two years.

I also make sure the bottom edge of the 'craft' has been lightly sanded AFTER all finishing steps just to give it a gripping surface.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:56:54 am »
Just a thought Sam, but are you finishing them before gluing? If you are that is the problem. Titebond does no stick well to the finish.  8)

I agree with julief. Especially on small projects had problems with pneumatic brads or staples miss shooting or cracking the piece.  8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:45:21 am by Russ C »

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 08:30:00 am »
I have found that the pneumatic staples will travel along the lines of the grain in almost every type of wood making the use a hit or miss proposition on anything requiring true accuracy.
If using even small brads I would most likely drill tiny pilot holes first to assure accuracy.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SamCec

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 08:47:22 am »
I think you folks hit the reason for my problem. Prior to gluing, I stain the items. I do NOT rough up the service that is to be glued. I will start taking some sandpaper to that area.

Thanks for the help. You folks solved another problem.

Sam

northie66

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 09:03:43 am »
Good to know!  I also have had things fall apart.  I didn't know you shouldn't stain them first.  But what if the things you are gluing are pieces that require different stains?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 09:07:57 am »
Janet...I have had great success with the "jel"/"gel" form of Super Glue by various manufacturers.
By not being so 'runny' it gives a little more substance to penetrate and to bond.
This is true of all things I have used it on not just wood.

~~~GB~~~

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 09:19:47 am »
I would suggest you stain the project and put the first coat of finish on it before gluing, keeping the stain off the bottom for gluing. Glue the project and base together. If any glue squeezes out use a damp cloth to remove. After the glue sets stain the bottom. The first coat of finish will protect the top from the bottom stain and keep it from being discolored.  8)

SMF

Teknoromi