Author Topic: What blades to use if you don't have full control of both hands?  (Read 972 times)

Dawie

Yes I have another blade question. There is this new guy at the centre I go to and he ia facinated by the scroll saw and he has tried it and was cutting away quite happily after practising for a while, he has a natural nak for it. However he ahs a spasm in his one hand which makes going around corners difficult he manages but he needs to switch hands and go real slow. At the moment he is using flat blades as that is all we have there at the moment. I was just wondering if spirals might help him out to make it easier. Anybody got experience with this or have ideas that could help him? I promised I would ask and nearly forgot I see him again on Thursday.
David

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: What blades to use if you don't have full control of both hands?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:03:24 pm »
I think they would help and defiantly make it easier for him. I am teaching my granddaughter who is twelve and handicapped to scroll. The muscles in her hands and wrists are under developed so she has a hard time with turning the wood for corners etc. Spirals made it so much easier. Let him try it. Can't hurt.  8)  8)  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:17:37 pm »
Thanks Russ, I will take some of my spirals on Thursday and see what he thinks, if he likes I can get the centre to order some for him.
David

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 01:40:24 pm »
David...I also think a "deadman" foot switch might be a help.
It will allow him to virtually stop the blade 'instantly' in order to switch hands.
If he has the coordination to step down on the switch while cutting and then just lift his foot when he needs to change directions this may be a big help.

Just a thought....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »
Thanks GB I will keep that in mind, just think it will be hard to get that done seeing all the rules and regulations care centres have to abide but I could mention it to group leader.
David

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11:11 am »
I think spiral blades could help, but they cut on all sides, so when you lean to the side of the blade to make a turn, a spiral wil be hard to keep on line then. you have to try. use lower nr of blades, fine teeht wil give more control, but it will go slowerthen.

That idea of GB with the footswitch is great!
ther is even a proxxon switch:

I have a "Workpiece Clamp" on my hegner, this prevents the wood from bouncing.
maybe this is also an improvement if you have only one hand with good control.
I can't find one for proxxon, but if you look at the one from hegner i think you possible can make one you own.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:13:41 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:23:46 pm »
Hi Marcel I know just what you mean, the Hegner I learned on is now broken down, but is proberbly in the cellar of the centre, can see if I can take it off tomorrow and think up a way of mounting it to the proxxen. Thanks for the info.
David.

SMF

Teknoromi