Author Topic: Accent Lines on Pieces  (Read 1139 times)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
Accent Lines on Pieces
« on: May 11, 2018, 11:30:19 am »
Two patterns I may be trying are the mini dragon clock (http://www.stevedgood.com/minidragonclock.pdf)and the boot clock (http://www.stevedgood.com/cowboyboot.pdf).

On both of these, there seem to be access lines that are not cut.

On the boot, line delineate the sole, and the pull tab.

On the dragon, lines show detail in the wings.

Am I correct in assuming these lines were hand drawn after cutting was complete?

What is best for this sort of line - pencil, magic market with fine tip, paint?  I am just not sure how these will react when a finish is applied.

I would also assume that if you are finishing the wood with a stain or dye, this should be done before the lines are drawn.  Is this correct?

Sorry - these may be very basic questions, but I can't find a reference to this information by searching here, and have not seen anything about adding accent lines in any of the videos on scrollsawing.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Accent Lines on Pieces
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:05:10 pm »
Greetings,
Those lines are typically called VEINING and they ARE cut from the pattern.
Some people use spiral blades for these because the spiral blades leaves a larger "Kerf"
which simply means the gap is wider. I do not use spiral blades and, if necessary to widen the cut,
I just go back into the cut more than once until it is of my desired proportions.
In some cases, the veining may be in the middle of a pattern and you have to drill an access hole
just to cut that detail.
Enjoy your hobby and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:12:32 pm »
Those lines are typically called VEINING and they ARE cut from the pattern.
Thanks for the information!

Have you looked at the patterns I listed?  I am pretty sure the lines I am referring to are not done in this manner.If they were, part of the pattern would just fall off.

For example, the pull tab at the top of the boot has an accent line all the way around it, so cutting it the way you describe would leave nothing attached to the body of the boot.

I can see it with the mini dragon pattern, but it would it not leave the final product very fragile?
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:50:56 pm »
Hi, rfielder,
I did look at Steve's patterns for you and, I have to admit that the cowboy boot clock is NOT one of
the best Steve Good patterns I have seen because the simulated/colored version shows the veining lines
but, the actual black and white pattern does not.
However, if you look closely at the colored version, the veining line around the tab you mentioned
stops short on the right side leaving it attached and all the other veining lines also stop short from removing
any sections. The lines that go up to the clock insert will have to stop short of the hole and the bevel from the
clock can cover part of the veining line.
Of course, you can still use anothr method instead of making these cuts if you want to. If you choose to use
another method, my choice would be to wood burn it with a cheap wood burner. That way, the line would show up
just fine with no worries about paint or marker or anything bleeding into the wood if you stain or paint it.
God Bless! Spirithorse

SMF

Teknoromi