Author Topic: Favorite Blade to Use  (Read 3888 times)

Offline newtoscroll

• View Profile
Favorite Blade to Use
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:14:47 am »
We all must have a favorite blade to use.  I like the Flying Dutchman Polar No. 3.  This is because it easily cuts 1/2 inch or thinner wood both soft and hard.  It makes a great straight line and square turns.  It is thin so it works well in tight quarters for precision cuts. 
I am curious what other people rate as their favorite.

Dawie

Re: Favorite Blade to Use
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:24:19 am »
I have been using the proxxon blades that came with my saw up to now (did restock). Just started trying spiral blades, but only had the 1 size that proxxon delivers. Am just about to order the new spirals think they are FD-NS, if I am not mistaken. Wish I started using spirals earlier. So am guessing that it will proberbly be FD-NS 2/0, what I have heard from some people they cut everything with this blade.
David

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »
I use Olson 2/0 or 2 reverse tooth for most of the work I do.  I love them because they go where you want them and are easy to control. I would like to try the Polar FD 3 one day if they are as good as you say.  I have tried some other blades and I found they wander where they want to sometimes.  For me, it is all about control. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:41:56 pm »
I have tried most of the FD blades and for my money it is the FD Polar in all sizes.
Cut clean and track very well.
Only blade I have found that for me allows a long straight cut with minimum of 'wandering'.
Very easy for me to control.
I am now trying the FD Flat end Spirals to see how they work. So far, so good!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:27:44 pm »
 I use Olson #2/0 for my portraits, and anything else I like  FD#1 and FD#3 as they cut very clean on 1/2" wood that I use.   Edward

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »
FD-UR, in 1,3 and 5 sizes.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:13:20 pm »
My main stay blade wood be the FD-UR #3 and the #1

My wish wood be that blades be rounded on the backs to make for easier turns.
I know you can file them but sometimes ones forgets and well...

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »
Up until recently I have always used Olsen reverse blades in sizes of 0/2, 2 and 5. In addition I am now also using Flying Dutchman UR 1,3 and 5. Also FD NR 0/2, 2 and 5.
When I teach at Woodcraft I start the students out with Olsen skip tooth blades in 5, 7 and 3.
Dan In Southern California

shissta

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »
Flying Dutchman 2/0 Spiral blades.  I cut pretty much everything with them.

Joesawdust

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 11:17:02 pm »
My all time favorite blade to use for most of my projects are the Olsen crown tooths in sizes all the way up to a 7, because they generally cut real clean on both sides. I have tried a good assortment of the FD blades and do prefer the flat end spirals from them over the Olsen flat end spirals.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 06:46:23 am »
on portraits - i just switched from 2/0 olsen spiral to the fd ns 2/0 spiral - like them alot.
Have always used olsen platinum reverse tooth blades in all sizes and had much success but recently ordered the fd uv blades about a month ago - really like them

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 08:41:50 am »
The fd polar #3.  Does it leave a lot of fuzzies behind or does it do a good job of cleaning up after itself like the fd Ur sizes.  I usually use the fd ur #3, 5 ,7.  They took a little while to get used too but I can't imagine using anything else on a regular basis.  i do have some olson's on hand for backup when I run low.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

UHMNL

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 12:21:11 pm »
Hi Mike,

The Polar blades have no reverse teeth, so you will get some fuzz on the bottom.

FD Mike

jim stiek

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 09:46:09 pm »
depends on what I am cutting but mostly it will be a F.D. of one kind or the other.

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 09:40:44 am »
When I bought my saw I got a load of Niqua blades from what was Hobbies of Dereham, and must say that the no.5's are what I use the most, though I haven't tried any other brands.
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

SMF

Teknoromi