Author Topic: What blade???  (Read 4627 times)

dheaton

What blade???
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:10:47 am »
Hi All

Is there any way to tell what a blade is.  I have a bunch of blades (don't know brand) that are wrapped in bundles of 10.  I have no idea what size or kind of blades they are.  Is there a way to tell?
Also, Oh never mind.

kardar2

Re: What blade???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:51:51 am »
I call them mystery  blades. I am sure we have all had these. Other than  noticing if the blades are going in a a different  direction. There is no way really to tell except holding them up and eye balling them as to what size they might be. If you know they ain't you favorite brand. For me I know that they are FD blades so I just use them when I start running out of blades and waiting for my NE shipment of blades. Just use them up or give them to some one on the swap forum. ;)

dheaton

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:38:51 am »
That is kind of what I thought.  I have never tried the FD blades yet and I need to.  I am using a Hawk saw by the way.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:41:02 pm »
Here is a link to a scroll chart. Its for olson blades but the styles of blades should be the same.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/Olson-scrollblade-chart.pdf

dheaton

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:50:32 pm »
Here is a link to a scroll chart. Its for olson blades but the styles of blades should be the same.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/Olson-scrollblade-chart.pdf

Thank you

dheaton

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 05:52:54 pm »
I think I would like to try the FD blade.  Who do I get them through?

kardar2

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 06:57:45 pm »
Thewoodenteddybear.com
Or mikesworkshop.com

dheaton

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:20:24 pm »
Can someone help me identify the maker of these blades?  This is what the package looks like.  It says UN#9.  I assume that means it is a #9 blade right?  It doesn't look like a #9 blade to me.  Anyone know who TWS is?  I have a bunch of these blades in different sizes.  They may have come when I purchased my Hawk Scrollsaw.  I don't really care for the fuzzies they leave behind.  I am just starting out so this confuses me.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:23:11 pm by dheaton »

kardar2

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 03:32:58 pm »
I don't know who makes those if I was you dont like them I would only use those in a pinch.  Once you find the blades you like you will forget about those unless you run out of blades and need to finish a job.

dheaton

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 03:42:37 pm »
Ya that is what I am probably going to do.  I wish there was a store near me that I could purchase a few different blades to see which ones I like the best.  I am going to order the FD blades to try them out  Probably in size 1,3,5.  Think that is a good selection to try?

kardar2

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 03:51:54 pm »
Go to www.mikesworkshop.com and order the sample packs.

kardar2

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:13 pm »

dheaton

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 04:24:26 pm »
Ok, just ordered the Assortment pack.  Thanks.

kardar2

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 04:43:03 pm »
Okay did you see on there that they will send you 2 blades for a dollar so that would be a good way to see what you like. Make sure you play with different  blades with different  wood an thickness some blades work better with different wood.

dheaton

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 11:46:47 pm »
Okay did you see on there that they will send you 2 blades for a dollar so that would be a good way to see what you like. Make sure you play with different  blades with different  wood an thickness some blades work better with different wood.

Crap no I didn't see anything like that.  That is what I would have liked to do.  Oh well.
The order process is kind of weird too.  You have to click on the order form then go back to the blade page to remember what the item is called and how much it is then go back to the order form.  Weird, thats all.

SMF

Teknoromi