Author Topic: adjusting a dewalt 788  (Read 9052 times)

ups34

Re: adjusting a dewalt 788
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 07:00:00 am »
I was going to order the Jim Dandy. I see some say EZ lift. What is an EZ lift. I am new to scroll sawing. The bolt sounds like the wrong way to go. If just tightening the bolt was the fix. I would have thought it would be tighter from the start?

mark1945

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 09:58:30 am »
Where do you get info on the jim dandy or the easy lift? I have always used just a block of wood.

UHMNL

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:05 am »
Jim Dandy website:
http://www.jimdandy.com/
Mike

northie66

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 07:55:39 pm »
I'm so glad I found this thread because my buddy at work that scroll saws and has the same Dewalt as me, gave me a block of wood and said it's what he uses to change blades.  I took it so as not to insult the man, but I never understood what he was talking about because when I lift the arm up on mine, it stays there.  I suppose this is not the norm.  At least now I know why he gave me the block of wood.

Janet

chief

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 12:09:41 am »
Well i tried the bolt thing and it works.  I just tightend a little, not even a quarter turn and it stays up when you lift and it goes down easily when done.  I will make my own lift device next week and see how it works out and loosen the bolt.
The bolt works, but I agree with some of the others I think it will shorten the life a little of the saw.

Vince

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 09:11:09 pm »
     I use the block of wood to keep the arm up - works for me, I just happened to have a piece of wood in my shop. LOL

Vince

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 10:04:22 pm »
The FIRST cut I made with the new 788 was a notch in a block to hold the arm up.

Works fine so far...

Only bad thing is I had to find me a taller stool!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 06:50:21 pm »
Decided to try tightening the bolt.

I/6 of a turn works just fine...easy up, holds in place, easy down.

Maybe I can afford a JimDandy from my next allowance?!?!?!?

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 07:28:21 pm »
GraryBeard, If you learn to feed from the top you don't have to hold the arm up.
Here's what I do. Loosen the lower clamp, Raise the upper arm with one hand, line up the blade from above with the other hand. let the upper arm with the blade drop into the hole, then tighten the lower blade clamp.
To make it easier to access the lower blade clamp, remove the lower blade guard. It's a thin bar mounted in front of the blade clamp.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 08:20:17 pm »
I am a switch hitter....sometimes feed from top and sometimes from bottom. Have problems with the right arm/shoulder on occasion.

Bottom blade guard came of right after the "Hold-Down" before the saw was ever turned on!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

SMF

Teknoromi