Author Topic: Plastic sheet??  (Read 2527 times)

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Plastic sheet??
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:45:34 am »
I want to cut a new sub-base plate for my Dewalt router out of plastic sheet about 1/4" thick, what would be the best to cut on the scroll saw?  Acrylic, Lexan or what.  I would prefer something I can find easily like at a big box store in small quantities.  Any experienced help and advice out there.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Plastic sheet??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:13:18 pm »
Lexan (a GE brand name) is usually called Polycarbonate today. It is tough as nails. I would suggest that rather than acrylic.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 05:20:13 pm »
How about "masonite" pretty tough stuff as I remember. Or maybe some sort of "bakelite" material.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:17:40 pm »
Except I want it to be clear.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:49:47 pm »
Any of that lexan acrylic polycarbanite can be found at either lowes or home depot, I have looked, trying to find really thin sheets at the time was looking at using that as a table top cover to make the surface slick over tapeing or glueing something down like formica but could not find anything thin like I wanted.

One of those is kinda pricey to me for plastic, one is really hard, other kinda flexes but scratches easy think thats lexan.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:54 pm »
Most of what you will find in the big box stores will be .091 inches thick or thinner.  To get .25 you will have to go to someplace like this -  http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1-4-lexan.  Lexan or even Acrylic at that thickness is not cheap.  I saw one link to a site that carries product that was inches thick and they were very proud of their product.  Expect to shell out a fair amount for it at 1/4 of an inch.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:30:30 am »
http://www.yelp.com/biz/american-plastic-distributors-inc-columbus
This place in Columbus sells cut-off scraps of different kinds of plastics for $2/lb. I don't know if they'd send you some, but it might be worth a call. Or maybe there's a similar place near you?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »
I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but you might consider something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=275158-41401-12010003&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1208301&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

It is the Milescraft replacement base plate.  It also has snap in bushings which is much easier than the screw on kind.

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi