Author Topic: Baltic birch?  (Read 4899 times)

Bullfighter

Baltic birch?
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:30:06 pm »
Hi all, i have a stupid question, what is baltic birch? Here in Sweden we have birch plywood, is it the same or?
Peter.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Baltic birch?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:12:31 pm »
Here's some great info on Baltic Birch.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/?p=3066
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:57:30 pm »
Thank you Dan  Helpful link.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:29 pm »
Thanks Dan, that was quite informative.  The last batch (24 12X24 sheets) I received were warped quite badly so I don't want to order from them again.  Were do you all get the best, not the cheapest, 1/8 inch plywood?  (also not the most expensive) :)  :)  :)              TIA

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 04:00:46 am »
Here's some great info on Baltic Birch.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/?p=3066

Hi Peter,

the website says:

Baltic birch is a plywood product native to the northeastern region of Europe around the Baltic Sea.

So Sweden will have all and best Baltic Birch Plywood there is... ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 05:11:58 am »
Thanks Dan, that was quite informative.  The last batch (24 12X24 sheets) I received were warped quite badly so I don't want to order from them again.  Were do you all get the best, not the cheapest, 1/8 inch plywood?  (also not the most expensive) :)  :)  :)              TIA

I don't know where you are located but I just bought a 5 foot x 5 foot sheet 3mm(1/8 inch) for 15.30 at Peacocks in Oshawa, Ontario.  They cut in half so it fit in my car no charge. I have cut 4 12 inch square and it is perfect so far.

Don

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:25:53 am »

Chuck, I get mine from Sloan's online. It's a mom and pop outfit that provides quality plywood and fast shipping.

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Bullfighter

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 05:39:02 pm »
Thank you for the great info Dan, it is useful  :) . The birch plywood i use is made here in Sweden and it's very good for scrolling. Easy to saw and clean cuts.
What i didn't know was is if it is the same that so many talk about here in the forum.
I buy them in a lokal store in sheets who is about 1 square meter (close to a yard).
They cost from 13 dollar for 6 mm and up.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 07:08:57 pm »
I am working on a toy box I am making from a sheet of 1/2" Baltic Birch. I paid $27 for the 60" x 60" sheet here in West Texas.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

ChuckD

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:02 pm »
Don, Sloans was were I got the bad bundle.

Thanks Dan, It is only 2834.54 miles.  I will pop right over and check it out.  But You did give me an idea.

I don't know where you are located but I just bought a 5 foot x 5 foot sheet 3mm(1/8 inch) for 15.30 at Peacocks in Oshawa, Ontario.  They cut in half so it fit in my car no charge. I have cut 4 12 inch square and it is perfect so far.

Don

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 06:28:08 am »
Hi Chuck, I would call Sloans and complain about the order. I have been ordering BB plywood from them for over fives years without a problem and they have great service. It could have been a shipping problem. The shipping service let the package get damp. So personally I would give them a second chance.  8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:31:00 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 11:34:51 am »
Russ, it has been over a year ago so complaining now would be useless.  But I had received a few before so I will give them another try.
Thanks

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 04:36:13 pm »
I was curious about Sloan's Finland Baltic Birch. I bought some 1/32" from them and some 1/32" from eBay. The one on eBay was certified "aircraft grade" where Sloan's is not. When I got them both, the only difference was the price. I don't remember the actual cost but Sloan's was a few dollars less with shipping than the one I bought on eBay with free shipping. I haven't had any problems with Sloan's but the one from eBay had a damaged edge.

Almost time to restock but Sloan's is out of the 1/32"...Drats!

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:06:05 pm »
Dan, just out of curiosity, what do you do with 1/32 Wood?   

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 05:34:17 am »
Dan, just out of curiosity, what do you do with 1/32 Wood?   

in the past I use 3/64 and 5/64 for Christmas ornaments on a post card.
in our country they all it airplane plywood and it's used for these little remote control airplanes.
expensive stuff.....
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi