Author Topic: What blade should I use ??  (Read 1852 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
What blade should I use ??
« on: November 08, 2013, 08:54:42 pm »
Fairly new to the game.  Only interested in fretwork, not portraits or intarsia.  Buy blades from Lowes.  Their # SS5-28PL Bosch,  28 tpi.   .022".  My REALLY cheap saw only uses about 3/4" of the blade.

What Flying Dutchman blade would be comparable?
Do you recommend a reverse tooth & can it be installed either end up (to double the life)?
Do you recommend a reverse tooth for what I am doing?  An example would be Steve Good's fretwork baskets.

Thanks a big bunch !!!!!!!!

jerry 1939

countryscroller

Re: What blade should I use ??
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:35 pm »
I use the Flying Dutchman #1 and #3 Ultra Reverse a lot. The #1's are small to get into fretwork or anything really and you can cut pretty thick and hard wood even with that small of a blade. Benefits of UR's definitely is that it cuts down on "frizzlies" on the back side. When they start really appearing again, the blade is starting to get dull, but I just normally sand the back anyway. As far as the Reverse blades go, there is a little indent on the top of the blade and that indent goes at the top, so it is pretty easy to figure out which way to put the blade in and you don't have to look at the teeth. This is my two cents. Someone else may have more knowledge on the subject.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:36:13 pm »
You cannot reverse the blades to use both ends except for crown tooth blades.  The reverse tooth blades - regardless of maker - have a few teeth reversed at the bottom of the blade to cut on the up stroke so you don't have the fuzzies on the bottom of your piece.  I do not recommend buying ANY blade from your local hardware store.  You are paying way too much for them and they are inferior blades.  Superior blades are available for only 2 or 3 dollars a dozen, so mail ordering is worth the wait to get the quality your hard work deserves. Blades are cheap.  Don't try to overuse them or make them last longer than they should.  Your project will appreciate it.  Once you have used a Flying Dutchman or Olson blade you will understand the difference. For fretwork, depending on how intricate the design, Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades are the absolute best.  The tinier the hole - the tinier the blade.  Olson makes a platinum reverse tooth that is also excellent.  I keep a large stock of #3 and #5.  That is what I use the most.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:40:51 pm »
THANKS !!!!

You folks are a great help.

jerry 1939
Iowa

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 08:54:39 am »
I agree with Julie. In fact, 90% of my work is done with a FD-UR#3 and FD-UR#5. The only time I use anything smaller is for portraits or small fretted ornaments.

Tony,aka,Toneman

SMF

Teknoromi