Author Topic: Got a new/used tool  (Read 3161 times)

chief

Got a new/used tool
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:45:04 am »
Browsing craigslist today I found a Craftsman 6 1/8" jointer for $80.  Picked it up and it works great the guy even gave me the stand.  I love used tools at a big discount.  Sanded the table with 320 and then waxed and cleaned it real good, will get a new set of knofes tomorrow from Sears for $15.
Will get some pics of the workshop and post them up later this week.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: Got a new/used tool
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:56:54 am »
Sounds like a great bargain
Jimbo

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:32:45 am »
That sounds great!  It is always good to find an occasional bargain!  I hope it does well for you and I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your shop.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:24:51 am »
After "FREE" my favorite words are "Excellent Condition" and "Cheap"!

Don't you love browsing Craig's List!

Good Grab!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:16:18 am »
Good find, good price. Congrats. I check Craig's List just about everyday.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:50:44 am »
Never been on Craig's list. Was always told to be leary of them.  I guess I will have to over come that thought and browse.  Nice catch on the jointer.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 11:24:57 am »
Cherie...the only thing I would caution is Be Careful and don't take anything at face value. Carefully check anything you want to buy and make no commitment before seeing and/or trying anything!

You are buying one on one from another individual!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

cherie

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:36:29 pm »
Ed, this may sound stupid, but how am I suppose to check anything when the product may be 1000 miles away?  Do I call the seller and talk?  I know pictures can be deceiving.  I am usually cautious about stuff I have purchased via E-Bay, but I have also learned to check the sellers ratings.  Not had too much problems there.  Thanks for the pointers.

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:56 pm »
Good for you Chief.  I use Craigslist alot and all the cautions mentioned above are good advice.  Cherie, I would not buy something if I could not see it operate and even try it out myself.  If you are that far away from the seller I'd advise passing on the sale.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »
Bud hit it right on the head!

If it ain't new in the box then you have to see it, touch it, TRY it, and evaluate the hell out of it to be sure you want to take the chance.

Call to mind my recent experience with the Ex21 that was on craigslist here. I could have driven the 70 miles one way and he was more than willing for me to bring wood and try it out.
BUT he would not budge on the price and even tho it was only a year old I could not see paying as much for a machine WITHOUT a warranty as I did by negotiating with WoodCraft and getting the 788 for the same money WITH a full warranty and a DeWalt service facility less than half a mile from WoodCraft's store. The EX21 would have had to be sent back to Seyco in Texas if there was anything wrong with it and the shipping would have been out of my pocket negating anything I saved on the deal.

You have to weigh all the options and then you pay your money and take your chances....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:47:14 pm by GrayBeard »

SMF

Teknoromi