Author Topic: Hand Saws  (Read 1310 times)

Dav

Hand Saws
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:09:14 pm »
Am interested in trying one of the hand saw patterns out there with eagles in the saw blade. Was going to use walnut for the handle but not sure on the blade for some wood like oak break on the grain easy and sone of the parts are small.Or would balti birch be better or would the plys on top edge distract?

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Hand Saws
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:32 pm »
Hi, Dav. I am a big fan of maple.  It is surprisingly strong and has a tight, even grain that holds up to details. If you are going for hard wood, that would be my choice. It will look great too!  Just my opinion. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

boxmaker

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »
Dave, I cut some patterns that have blades of grass in them with red oak and it did tend to break off some places where the grain was. I would agree with Sheila, I have made the same pattern with Maple and even while sanding with a palm sander the pieces did not break out. And when Maple and Walnut are used together in a project their light and dark colors compliment each other.

sp_343

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:49:09 pm »
I too would go with Maple and a Walnut handle for a nice contrast.  The Maple I have cut holds well and looks great.  I have had issues with small pieces breaking off with Oak.

Post pics when done!

SMF

Teknoromi