Author Topic: Glue or....  (Read 1470 times)

chips

Glue or....
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:44:10 pm »
 Have finally got to the point where I need to attach the paper dial to a clock I've been scrolling for quite a while. This is my first attempt so am wondering what is considered the best way to attach it.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Glue or....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »
Test some on  spare paper first but I'd just use some spray on adhesive.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »
agrees with dunk on spray adhesive, i also use tape over the pattern as well after glued.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:37:01 pm by MadHatter »

chips

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:33:03 pm »
 Mike,

That's the problem. There is no spare paper. Just the dial so it's a one shot deal. But the spray on adhesive sounds good so will give that a try.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:30:30 am »
Just do not go too heavy, give it 30 seconds or so to tack up and then lay it down working from the center out.  You may find it beneficial to place some land marks with a piece of chalk on the clock face and the paper dial to help you get it aligned at 12 and 6.

Madhatter I do not believe this is a pattern to be cut.  It is, or will be the actual face of the clock.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:32:02 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:52:04 am »
That is what I'm thinking. Chips, is that a pattern for cutting or the actual clock face on paper. If it is the clock face, just make sure what ever glue you us is permanent.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

chips

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:39:11 am »
  Sorry I wasn't all that clear. The clock face (part with the numbers on it) is paper that needs to be glued on. I'm making that small clock Steve posted a while back called "Patricia's Clock" in honor of his wife. As this is the first one of these I've tried I thought it would be a good one to start with. The only other clock I've made was an all wood one from a kit which was fun but a bear to get running full time.

sp_343

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 01:23:30 pm »
I agree with 'dunk'.  Spray adhesive...let it 'tack'...then put it in place.  The ideas for having corners marked in chalk or pencil is also a good plan...before you get ready to commit to the final placement.

chips

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:03:08 pm »
 Thanks guys. The clock face is on and looks good. Did the chalk line set-up. Good idea. Never thought of that.

SMF

Teknoromi