Author Topic: Grizzly OSS?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Grizzly OSS?
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »
Anyone have or use this oscillating spindle sander from Grizzly, it is on sale now for $119.95. Any opinions, it is not something I think I would use a lot so don't want to spend more than necessary but don't want something that is not worth it in case I end up using more than I think I would.
TIA,
Bob
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Grizzly OSS?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:45 am »
You might be surprised how much you will use it once it is in the shop!
I personally bought a Ridgid spindle sander because it came with 4 sizes of spindles as well as a flat belt sander and had a tilt top. Yes, I spent more than $120.00 but, I  felt that it was worth it and I could get it locally (Home Depot). I use it alot more than I ever thought I would on all kinds of projects. It is especially handy if you make bowls or vases with your scroll saw.

Just my dos centavos worth.

Rog 
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:45:16 am »
 :'(I already have a Craftsman combo 9" disc / 6"x48" belt sander.  It is over 20 years old and not a lot of hours on it as I was always busy with work, but now that I retired 2 years ago I have a little more time when we are not out on the road.  Sept through May we love to go camping and probably spend 50% of our time gone.  I like to make small craft type projects and think I would get some good use out of it.  I just finished making 16 of Steve's (Key Fobs with the Inlace inlay and really like them) for Christmas presents for the kids and grand kids, all I have left to do is spray a little more clear on them but that will have to wait awhile since I had Carpal Tunnel Release surgery yesterday (about 6 weeks according to the surgeon)  I think I will be ready long before that but "she that must be obeyed" is not going to allow that.  As they peace of mind is golden!
I am mostly concerned about the quality and ease of use with the Grizzly brand OSS. :)
EX-21

rochar3

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:25:52 am »
I have the Grizzly OSS and while I thought that I would not use it all that much, I found out that it is very useful, especially when making bowls. Just wish the table would tilt like some higher priced sanders. That feature would really be handy when making bowls.
It is a good buy at that price.
Bob

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:29:06 am »
I have a Ridgid OSS/Belt sander and a Porter-Cable belt/disk sander side-by-side on my bench. I use them both all the time. The spindle can be used for bowls, knife handles, and all kinds of inside curves. The OSS is a great tool.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:34:17 am »
Talking about belt sanders, you guys that have one "do you leave the tension on the belt sander when not using or do you do like me and release tension and then have to set up again every time you want to use it?"  Some times I think I may be wasting a lot of time, tensioning and releasing. :)
EX-21

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:14 am »
I leave mine tensioned.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:27 am »
I leave my Stationary and Portable belt sanders tensioned all the time and have never noticed the belts stretching.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »
My main concern is the glued joint.  I may have to try leaving the belt tensioned and see if it affects belt life. :)  Sure would save me a lot of time.
EX-21

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »
The only time I have ever had a glue joint fail was when using belts from Harbor Freight.  Every one of them failed, and I never bought another one.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:59 pm »
It's been years since I've had a glue joint fail and they only failed because I bought some cheap ones.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

rochar3

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 11:03:52 am »
Never even thought about it. I take tension off of my Hawk G4 when not in use. Guess I should "detension" my belt sander.
Thanks for the tip.
Bob

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
I leave all of mine tensioned.  I have never had one fail.

SMF

Teknoromi