Author Topic: RIT Clothing Dye  (Read 1818 times)

sp_343

RIT Clothing Dye
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »
Anyone ever used RIT clothing dye for wood projects...thought I might give it a try...

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: RIT Clothing Dye
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 10:10:49 pm »
I was asked that same question by Gary a week or so ago and I gave him the following answer:

Although I haven't used Rit dye in particular, there are some things that you may want to think about . . .

As far as the Rit goes, I guess there would be two things that I would be concerned with: fully dissolving the colors and the amount of water needed for application.  Now you can probably use the liquid so you don't have any grains left.  I found the powder dye to be like Jell-o whereas you can sometimes see little grains in it even after stirring, stirring and more stirring.  The water is another issue.

I found that using a hard, tight wood such as maple takes better to water better than something like poplar or pine.  You will get far less raising of the grain because the molecules are packed much denser and less water is allowed to penetrate.  But that also means that less pigment will penetrate, or it may penetrate unevenly. For this reason I would keep scraps of wood handy and test everything.

I realize some people recommend sealer to seal the grain first.  However, if you seal the grain, how do you expect the stain to penetrate and not just sit on the top?

I am hoping that others who read this and have used Rit as a dye would share their results and help answer these questions.  

Thanks in advance, Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:13:48 pm »
I have never tried it but I have herd of people who have with good results. My concern would be the raising of the grain from using the dye mixed with water.
You may want to raise the grain on your wood with a damp sponge. Then when dry sand off the raised fibers. Then dye.
Dan In Southern California

chief

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:31:48 pm »
I would use dye's disolved in alcohol to prevent warping and raising the grain.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »
If you use water based dye or paint wet surfce first with water then sand when dry or if applying 2 coat of dye sand after first coat and then apply second coat I use wood dye from the paint shop, but prefer acrylic paint for coloring
Jimbo

chips

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:19:46 am »
 Do as Dgman says...... For those who have finished gun stocks the standard practice is to keep raising the grain till the "whiskers" don't show up. Then stain/finish.

Mr.Mike

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 02:35:51 pm »
I have used Rit Dye alot on Baltic Birch and Oak plywood, mostly at Christmas I use a lot of red and green. I prefer the liquid over the powder but have had good success with both. I use the liquid straight out of the bottle, just brush on and let sit for 10 -15 min. and wipe off. When dry, VERY lightly sand with 320 grit paper. Use a tach cloth to wipe off. Apply a coat of clear laquer and let dry completely.Sand again with 320 grit and apply another coat of laquer. This gives avery nice finish and the grain shows just fine.
   With the powder: Pour contents of package in a quart canning jar, add 2 cups of BOILING water(be careful). Tighten lid and shake until disolved. Proceed the same as with liquid,just shake before each use.
ALWAYS test on scrap piece.

Vince

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 06:46:44 pm »
     I use Rit dye all the time, making rose petals. I've used wet and dry - still no problem. The only problem I have is finding it locally - I know they have a site on the net, been their. I put what I am staining in a PLASTIC jar,   (DO NOT USE A GLASS JAR _ What a mess to clean up - been their - done that)  enough to make what I cut to float off the bottem. Then after it sits for an hour or so, I turn it so the lid is on the bottom. I rotate like this for about an hour - sometime I let it sit over nite. I have had no problems.

For me it works like a champ, BUT what I am putting it on is almost paper thin (Perhaps 2 to 3 sheets - so to speak). I sent Steve a picture of what I do, not sure if he can put it on here or not. (It's OK bye me !) Just keep in mind - that was the first one I had made and I have gotten better in the past 5 -6 years.

I haven't figured out how to put a picture on the site yet, I'm not dumb - but I am trying to get their LOL.

FOOT NOTE: I mix the dye in a 3 gallen cat litter PLASTIC container. Needless to say We have cats.
Vince

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 07:10:10 pm »
Hey Vince!
Aren't those 'cat litter buckets' great!
I use them for scrap wood, charcoal for the 'que', keep one in the car with mix of sand and regular litter for icy conditions and have even filled one with beer and ice to take to a parade! Makes for a nice cooler and also a nice stool to sit on!!!
Only reason I let the room-mate keep the darn cats is for the buckets!!!
Nothing against cats, had a few in my day, but these two don't like me 'cause I am the one who always puts them in the carriers to go to the Vet!

RE: RIT dye...I have seen it in some of the Dollar stores here in the mid-U.S.
Never have used it for wood only home made costumes and sets for plays.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi