Author Topic: where do you find thin wood?  (Read 6253 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
where do you find thin wood?
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:40:05 am »
I'm still new at this and will be for a year or so I suspect, where do you find the thin  wood?  I see you can buy it on e-bay but isn't there a place like home depot to get it??  It's kinda tough making it on my table saw...
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Becky

Re: where do you find thin wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:01:32 am »
Home Depot has some as does Lowes but only down to 1/4 inch.  Typically poplar and red oak - at least in my area.  If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft store nearby, they will have more species of wood and down to 1/8 inch.  Another possibility is a local lumberyard.  Past that I think you have to order from online.

sp_343

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:26:10 pm »
I get from either:  www.wildwooddesigns.com -or-  www.cherrytreetoys.com  (Same company...just 2 different web-sites that sell different types of plans and supplies)

I just a box of 1/8" wood from them today (cherry & purple heart) and it is NICE!!  All square, sanded, no warps or bends, no knots....just really nice wood.

I have gotten some from eBay before...
I have gotten from www.ocoochhardwoods.com

I order all my stuff on line...since local stores like Lowes & Menards only get as low as 1/4"...and that is mostly Oak and Poplar.  The pine only gets down to 3/8".

Good luck....there are many places on-line to shop...

shissta

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 07:02:45 pm »
If you have a Hobby Lobby close by they may carry some thin wood.  I found some 3/16 Baltic Birch at our local store. 

Joesawdust

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:35:43 pm »
Check out www.sloanswoodshop.com also I've used them for several years, good people, however they aren't carrying much hardwood anymore, but do have a good selection of plywoods

Greg

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »
I agree with Greg. I buy all my plywood from them. http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/
For hardwood I shop around.
 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

northie66

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:19:18 pm »
Is it just me or did others find the Woodcraft store way expensive?

boxmaker

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:03:47 pm »
No it's not just you Janet Woodcraft is expensive. All of the places mentioned in previous have excellent wood with very good prices.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:22:34 am »
I haven't been able to locate anyone online who has 2 ft by 4 ft thin wood.  Home Depot and Lowe's have 'em but usually low quality.  I do big pieces so I need the 2 x 4 sheets.  Yes, I'm whining lol

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:24:07 am »
Charlie...we have a local place that sells all kinds of specialty woods for custom work. I just checked their website and they stock BB p'wood in 5 X 5 sheets.
You might have to go all the way to the Dallas area to find a similar outlet. Check phone directory under 'Lumber, Hardwoods' or just Hardwoods.

p.s. Still collecting parts...hang in !

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:21 am »
thanks for all the info, as usual this place has all the answers
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi