Author Topic: Scroll Sanders in DW788  (Read 2311 times)

ufgator

Scroll Sanders in DW788
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:45:11 pm »
Has anyone used the Scroll Sanders in a DW788?  I have a set and they don't seen to fit into the blade holders.  They seem to be to thick for the holder and won't go back far enough for the screw to grab hold.

Thanks for your replies!
     Bill

cherie

Re: Scroll Sanders in DW788
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »
I have not bought any yet, but was wondering if they are worth buying.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »
Your best bet is to cut regular sand paper of the grit you want to 1/2" strips about 6" long. Fold the sand paper in half the long way so you have a 1/4" x 6" with sanding grit on both sides  and install in the regular pinless clamps just like you would a blade and sand away.
Learned that from Steve a year or two ago.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

ufgator

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:26:55 pm »
Thanks Rog! I'v heard of doing that but I got these with my saw and wanted to give them a try.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:02 pm »
Bill -

I bought some of those last year and discovered, just as you have, they are too thick to use on a Dewalt blade holder.  They seemed like such a good idea too.  I bought some popsicle sticks at Michaels and glued various grades of sand paper to the sticks.  I cut one end of the sticks to a point to reach in places better.  I may have gotten that idea from one of Steve's videos.  They DO work but of course you still have to sand by hand.  Live and learn.

Barry

ufgator

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:04:33 pm »
Great news! After seeing Steves video on the Olsen ScrollSanders I decided to give the Scroll Sanders another try on my DW788.  Found that if I back off on the set screw on the left side of the blade holders (top & bottom) just a little bit the ends of the sanders WILL fit fine.  They work Great.  Glad I didn't get rid of them now.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:55:59 pm »
I have some and they work fine keep the speed down I use the slowest speed, you have to open the blade holder as they are a lot thicker
Jimbo

northie66

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:58:25 am »
Good idea Roger!  I'll have to try that!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:47 am »
I've found a regular emery board can be cut in half and fit well into the blade holders.  They are available everywhere and are cheap.

dankc908

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 08:32:41 am »
I bought some 4 years ago with my first scroll saw.  Tried them once.  I finally tossed them about 6 months ago since I knew I would never use them again.

Marshall

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 10:56:52 am »
Hey guys : I've always cut sandpaper 5" long by 1/2" wide folded it in half and it always worked with the least amount of tenison and as slow as the saw will run . It's a lot cheaper and if it tears no big deal , just replace it . I keep the sandpaper set-up in my old Craftsman scroll saw right beside the big yellow machine ...................some food for thought ........Marshall

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 01:31:37 pm »
Thanks, Marshall!

Now I have an excuse for keeping that Craftsman I replaced with ol' Yeller!
I have a friend who owns a body shop and he supplies me with 'cloth backed sheets'.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 04:23:40 pm »
 I tried them in my craftman a couple years ago and the plastic was too big. haven't tried them yet in my Dewalt. Edward

northie66

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 06:45:14 pm »
I never had a first saw... only ol' yella.  Now I sort of wish I did buy a cheapie first... then it could be my sander saw.  ha!

SMF

Teknoromi