Author Topic: Poly finish...HELP!  (Read 1614 times)

sp_343

Poly finish...HELP!
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:23:40 pm »
Monday I finished a table...sanded, removed all dust, lemon oil applied and dried...now after putting on the Minwax Semi-Gloss Poly (new can...with a brush...first light coat)...the table is still "sticky" and hasn't dried much at all...been a couple days now...do you think the lemon oil is slowing the drying process?? 

I could understand if it was a VERY heavy coat...but it was as light as I could go to get full coverage.  Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Poly finish...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:43:13 pm »
There is a reaction with the lemon oil and poly. On small projects it is usually not a problem, not the case with a table as you have found out. You should have used a sealer like clear laquer first. It probably won't dry and you will have to strip it off.  :(  :(  :(
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:24:18 pm »
Frankly, I never had good luck with lemon oil either. Even if I didn't put any finish on top of it, it never seemed to compleatly dry.
I would dunk it completely in the oil, wipe it off and set it aside to dry. After  3 days I had a small damp spot of oil on my table. It did pop the grain and look good as it ozzed out though.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

sp_343

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »
Well...I just checked it again and it seems to be ok.  Russ, for future reference...would I do the clear laquer after the lemon oil....skipping the Poly....-or-...do the poly only with no lemon oil??

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:51:23 pm »
That is why I use lacquer it dries quick even over lemon oil.  I have had that same problem with poly.  But, I think if you wait it out it will dry.

Barry

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:04 pm »
only time ive had the poly to be sticky is when there was a tad bit of glue that i didnt quite sand it all off from a pattern, other than that ive never had the poly to be sticky.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 07:36:43 am »
Well...I just checked it again and it seems to be ok.  Russ, for future reference...would I do the clear laquer after the lemon oil....skipping the Poly....-or-...do the poly only with no lemon oil??

You are lucky. Sometimes you have to strip off the poly. Never will dry.  :)

1. Apply lemon oil, let dry.
2. Make sure project is dry, wipe with paper towel.
3. Apply a good coat of clear lacquer. Let dry.
4. Now you can add Poly, more Lacquer or Varnish etc.

The lacquer is not affected by the lemon oil and seals it in.
I use spray lacquer for first coat on all my natural wood, lemon oil or stained projects.

That is the way I do it.
 8)  8)  8)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:58:11 pm »
Hey Russ, why use poly if you already applied lacquer? On all my scroll work, I only apply lacquer. Works for me!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:00:04 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 08:18:25 pm »
Some people like the poly finish. You can finish it however you want. If you read the whole post it was about putting poly over lemon oil on a table not scroll work. Lacquer allows you to do this.

SMF

Teknoromi