Author Topic: stack cutting  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
stack cutting
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:27 pm »
How many layers of 1/4 inch baltic birch do you cut? I use .024 spiral bades and cut three layers.  The sand mop Steve showed us makes short work sanding them, even the most delicate fretwork.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: stack cutting
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:23:07 pm »
I have done three (3) but I have a production run coming up so i will be trying FOUR tomorrow. Need to make a bunch of Baseball themed Switch Plate covers to peddle at the ballgames!
I would prefer to do them in Red Oak but the booster club can't afford that so we are going with 1/4" BB for the first 20.
The first 20 fans that buy $20 worth of 50/50 raffle tickets get a free switch cover. We'll see how that goes over and i may need a laser cutter before the season is over!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:34 am »
Hey Judy, I probably would go with three layers of 1/4" BB if it was a delicate cut. Maybe four if it wasn't so delicate.
Dan In Southern California

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:04:49 am »
I feel comfortable at cutting 3 layers.  Four is a bit thick and really seems to put stress on the smaller blades.  I like being relaxed when I cut - not having to work so hard, so I would rather be longer at the saw and having fun then making better time and being stressed.  I know others do more, but that is my personal preference. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:45:52 am »
I agree three 1/4"  works great for me. Remember stacked thats 3/4". Pretty thick.  8)  8)  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:32:20 am »
I generally stop at 3 myself.  I've done more but it goes too slow and breaks more blades.  Also, be careful of what they call "Barreling".  That's when you go a little too fast or force the cut a little too much and the center of the blade curves out while it appears to stay on the line on the top piece.  If you go slow, that blade stays more straight during cutting.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 08:04:11 am »
That's a good point that Charles made.  I found that also. I tend to use little blades and cut details, and after 3 layers, they did seem to have the problem of 'barreling'.

:) Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

SMF

Teknoromi