Author Topic: Drill Press  (Read 6493 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
Drill Press
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:55:27 pm »
 I have a Dremel Tool and I'am looking for plans on building a stand so I can do cuts where the drill press can't reach in the middle. I know there are some stands on the market, but I would rather build one. Thanks for any info.  Edward

northie66

Re: Drill Press
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:31:51 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "do cuts where the drill press can't reach in the middle".  Can you elaborate a little?

I have the stand that turns the dremel into a drill press... it's ite.  I still tend to use my regular drill more often.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:36:32 pm »
Rick Hutchensen at www.scrollsaws.com uses one like you are talking about.  His site is huge, but he may have some information on how to build one there. He has lots of tutorials and videos.  :)  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:07:35 pm »
Janet My drill press is a 10" Delta and when you cut a 11x17 it is hard to reach the middle, because there is a round steel bar that limits the distance. seyco has one, but it is too expensive, thats why I want to build one, I know it can be done.  Edward

jim stiek

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:21:57 am »
Try one of the home centers for a plunge router base and a mini chuck for the dremel, really cheap fix or if you can find a dremel drill press and turn the head 180 degrees from normal and set it any where on your pattern. we use the plunge router base and are very pleased with the results.

cherie

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:54 am »
Jim's idea is what Jaun and I were talking about the other night.  We noticed that Seyco had something similar, but is too expensive.  Something to think about.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »
Will check ity out  Thanks   Edward

ripchief

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:40:19 am »
Janet, when the Dremel is mounted on the drill press attachment, there is a set distance between the drill bit and that vertical metal mounting pole that the dremel is suspended from...This is known as a drill press capacity...The same is true for a regular drill press...When someone says that they have a 10" drill press, they have 10 inches of clearance between the drill bit and that post in the back (think about it the same as a 16" scroll saw; 16 inches between the blade and the back of the saw)...This means that if you have a project that has blade entry holes located beyond the capacity of your drill press setup, then you need another way to drill them...By hand is certainly an option, but they might not turn out straight.

So, back to the Dremel setup...In order to use the dremel to drill straight holes beyond the capacity of the drill press attachment, you need to somehow extend the capacity of it...As stated, you can use the plunge router attachment...I've also seen another self-made item  (which I think is the subject of this thread) that mounts the dremel on an arm that extends out onto a wok table (but can't remember where I saw it).

ripchief

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:43:42 am »
Here's a link that shows a sketch of what I think we're talking about:

http://www.instructables.com/id/PCB-Drill-Press-Using-Salvaged-Door-Hinges/

In addition to the plunge router attachment, Seyco also has their rather expensive alternative:

http://www.seyco.com/sdrill.html

Here's another:

http://hackaday.com/2010/03/18/pcb-drill-press-on-a-budget/

Don't be fooled by looking at the size of the scroll saw, or the size of most available project patterns...Depending on your saw, you can make some REALLY BIG stuff out of one piece of wood.  The dewalt's 20" capacity will allow making something almost 3 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet, and the Excalibur EX-30 will support a project that's 5 feet by 5 feet (understanding that these would need to be either diagonal or diameter measurements to accommodate turns).

cornishpisky

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:25:56 pm »
I would imagine it would be pretty easy to make a drill press like the Seyco to accomodate a Dremel, and you could probably easily improve on the design, especially the way they angle the drill press, looks like an afterthought to me...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:28:24 pm by cornishpisky »

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 11:40:00 am »
Hopefully someone will come up with plans for one, unless theres already one out  there. I have all kinds of woodworking books but haven't seen any  plans  in them.

ripchief

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »
Just do what I do; figure out what you want it to do, and then just make your own plans.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »
And then show everybody how you did it and somebody will surely say, "I saw somewthing like that at "Harbor Frreight"!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

cloetpatrick

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 01:51:27 am »
Rick Hutchensen at www.scrollsaws.com uses one like you are talking about.  His site is huge, but he may have some information on how to build one there. He has lots of tutorials and videos.  :)  Sheila

Thank you for the address, it interests me for its plans Orlog whose mechanisms are wooden and which also is not expensive.

jim stiek

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 09:50:23 am »
If you have a dremel drill press turn the head 180 degrees from normal and set the whole thing on top of the project then you have unlimited distance on your patterns, it is light enough to work this way, and works quite well.

SMF

Teknoromi