Author Topic: Scroll saw advice  (Read 3898 times)

rteubner

Scroll saw advice
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:28 am »
I know the subject has been talked about numerous times but I am looking for opinions. My trusty Craftsman saw is slowly seeing its last cuts I'm afraid so its time to start shopping for a new saw, even though my wife thinks I'm making excuses to buy a new tool.  ;D haha I have acquired way too much vibration and now last night the motor has started speeding up and slowing down on its own. I am undecided on going with the DeWalt or else try to get by for a little bit longer with my saw and save up for Excalibur. So anyway, after all this babbling, my question is about going with a 16 or 21. Most of my work I do is with 8X10 portraits and have just started trying intarsia. Has anyone bought the 16 and kicking themselves now for not spending the extra money on a 21? For what I do I'm just not sure if the extra money is necessary.

Retired Coastie

Re: Scroll saw advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:26 pm »
If you get the 21" you won't have to say later " I wish I had bought the larger capacity saw, then you'll only have to say I wish I had bought brand X instead of brand Y.

I had a 16" saw and it was good for what I was using it for but soon discovered I was a little cramped in the saws capacity so I went with a 21" delta and I'm glad I did. The saw has more weight and mass that dampens any vibration.

How much more expense is the 21" saw?

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:02 pm »
We have pondered that same question.  I really don't LIKE doing large pieces, so 16" really probably would have been big enough for me. However, being a designer, I never really know what the future will bring and what I may be required to do to make a living, so I opted for the 21 inch Excalibur.  I never really thought about the mass thing that Coastie brought up, but that is a good point.  But I would rather have a 16 inch Excalibur than a 21 inch Delta or DeWalt.  If the price really is what you need to base your decision on, I would go with the smaller Ex.  They do after all, retain their value pretty well and if you ever decided to move up, as long as your saw was in good shape you would probably be able to sell it for a decent price.  Just my thoughts on it . . . :)

Let us know what you decide to do!

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

rteubner

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:46:40 pm »
That is something I never considered, the 21 may have extra weight and mass. Coastie,it is almost $250 more for the 21. Just think how many FD blades I could buy from Mike with that  ;D Part of me is leaning to the fact that if I'm going to spend that much on a saw I should just spend the extra and get the best.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:46:54 pm »
My EX-21 was delivered in February. It is a pleasure to work on. I've experimented with bowl making and the ability to tilt the head rather than the table makes the work much easier to control. Having a resource like Ray Seymore may be the best reason to get the EX. He is very knowledgeable and will return an email or call quickly with a solution.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:53:32 pm »
You should buy the best you can afford; that way you won't be sorry Six months down the road, when you wan to cut something larger than you do now and If you really get into making Intarsias you'll need the extra depth for cutting the backers.  (Something to think about)
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline phantom scroller

• I'm Over the pond or In a pond. Hartpury in UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:45 pm »
I used to have 16" and now I have the EX-21 and believe me I ummed and rrrr about the EX-30 because one time or other your going to want to cut something bigger, so if you have the readies available go for bigger because bigger is better. lol ;D

Roly

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:16:07 pm »
I have the EX 21 and glad I paid the extra. At first, I was going over to Seyco to buy the Ex16. After sitting down at both saws and talking to Ray about what I was wanting to cut on the saws, I decided on the Ex21 because if I was going to make items to sell, and I saw a pattern that I just had to make and it was over 16", wellllll. A lady recently wanted me to make her some 17" crosses for her retail store (12 @$20.00 ea), so, there is the extra money for the extra 5"

Tony,aka,Toneman

ShadowB6

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:11:06 pm »
Funny you mention doing portraits. I'm presently cutting a 16x20 portrait of my son. Wouldn't be able to do it using a 16". Better give this one some real good thought. My advice, save a few bucks more and buy the 21". Better to be safe now instead of sorry later.

Mike

Scroll Down

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:22:07 am »
You may be able to replace the brushes in the motor on your current saw to help you get a little more out of it till you save up for a new one.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:10:01 am »
My Ex21 is over 10 years old and I would replace it in a heartbeat.  I will probably buy the EX30 next time.  I started with an 18" Dremel and never regretted my purchase of the EX21.  I have found a few patterns that the EX21 is not big enough for and have had to resort to spiral blades to finish it off.  In short, go for the 21 if it is in your ability.

multifasited

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:23 am »
Everybodies ,correct in thier situation and thier choice for them and with good reasoning,now it's your turn ,having a COMPUTORIZED POST HOLE DIGGER you rarely use ,except for" show and tell" is not a good investment ,I know ,I HAVE A COUPLE ,Make your best guess as to your future use ,thats all you can do ,With all this input ,It will be right for YOU !!SCROLL ON!!

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 10:56:41 am »
i had a 16"craftsman and went with the EX-21 that was one of my better decisions i made when it comes to some of my woodworking tools.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 07:12:55 am »
I started with the EX16 and had loads of problems with vibration on it, after changing the machine 5 times Axminster Power tools upgraded me free of charge to the EX21 - what a difference, there was virtually no vibration whatsoever. I don't know if it was a batch of faulty EX16's or whether the 21" version is a better balanced machine because of the extra size and weight, but I wouldn't change my EX21 for anything now, it's a lovely machine to use.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

rteubner

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:46 am »
Thank you for all the advice. It looks like the answer is to try and make it by with mine. Seems like the EX21 is what would be the best. I have also done some research on the 788 also and it looks like with the DeWalt you need to find a Type 1 which was made in Canada but they seem to be few and far between. Do they not make them there anymore?

SMF

Teknoromi