Author Topic: Clear coat question  (Read 3296 times)

northie66

Clear coat question
« on: June 14, 2010, 09:12:57 pm »
Is there something to use for a clear coat that doesn't smell strong, dries quick, and doesn't yellow?  I'm talking a clear coat over painted wood... not stained or natural.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:03:23 pm by Janet »

Joesawdust

Re: Clear coat question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »
Try Krylon crystal clear spray, it comes in flat, satin and gloss, wally world has it for under $5 a can, it does dry quick but smells like most other spray paints so I would spray outdoors.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:23 pm »
Janet...I've been applying finishes of various types for more years than I like to count and have yet to find a single one that does not have an odor.
My only suggestion is to VENTILATE as thoroughly as possible.
Good finish, quick dry, would be spray lacquer but the smell is definitely strong.
But it is over quickly.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:05:04 pm »
Janet -

I recently bought some of the Krylon spray but have not had time to use it.  It is less expensive than other spray finishes so I hope it works as well.  I still use Spray lacquer.  It dries faster than anything I have tried.  You can sand down the grain after only ten minutes and put on another coat.  As Joe said all the sprays are going to smell and you have to have a well ventilated area.  Thank goodness for nice weather when you can spray outside.  I will try the Krylon but the lacquer is hard to beat.

Barry

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:26:54 pm »
Janet what you are describing would be a perfect finish, but as far as I know it just does not exist. Now if this project is going to be outside and that is why you are concerned with yellowing you need some type of spar or marine finish that is resistant to UV rays from the sun. If you want something to dry quick you would want a lacquer finish. If you are applying over a painted surface you have to make sure both finishes are compatible with each other or the outer coating will probably not stick, and will flake off. I hope this helps, finishes can be a real pain. There is an excellent book titled Applying Finishes by Bob Flexner.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 06:50:37 am »
My favorite spray finish is Deft brand spray.  It has a flat spray so it doesn't leave as rough of a texture as round sprays leave. 

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 08:53:02 am »
Hi janet. I use a minwax product, polycrylic. It is a water based product. It dries fast, easy to use, I spray it on with a cheap air brush from Harbor Freight. I realy get some nice finishes on my pieces

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:48:16 am »
Janet if you are using good acrylic paint, there is no need for any kind of clear finish unless you want it more shiney.
I'm from North Dakota

GWhit

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:50:04 am »
Be careful with lacquer over paint, it can act as a paint remover and leave you with a big mess.  Its ok over penetrating wood stains but not anything that sits on the surface.

Gordon

(Ex-paint salesman....100+ yrs ago)

cornishpisky

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:56 pm »
I paint wood with Acrylic paint and use Acrylic Varnish to finish, low odour, fast drying time, comes in gloss, satin or matt, brush on or spray.

SMF

Teknoromi