Author Topic: DW788 Blade Speed  (Read 1635 times)

ufgator

DW788 Blade Speed
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »
Need some blade speed recomendations for the DW788 with various blades and types of wood? I'm still trying different combinations on this new to me saw and making a lot of sawdust. I know a lot of my problem is just more practice. It's been said "Practice makes Perfect" but I've learned that "Perfect Practice makes Perfect". Thanks in advance for your advise!

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: DW788 Blade Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:04:30 pm »
Hey Bill, My advice is simple. Start with a medium speed. If you can't control the workpiece, slow it down. if you feel like it's going slow, speed it up. Adjust till it feels comfortable. Its all a matter of how it feels to you.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:26:23 pm »
Sounds about right to me! Very sage advice!
Just keep 'experimenting' and get comfy.

Or as a wise person once told me, "You do whatever YOU have to do to make YOU Happy and sc#$% the rest of the world!"
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:49:29 pm »
Hi Bill,
Did you read; History of the scroll saw, plus other information?
There is alot of information about scrolling
FD Mike

ufgator

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:58:35 am »
Thanks FD Mike! I read the article last night and I did learn alot.  It answered both my questions preaty good.  You did an excellent job writing it. I recomend everyone take the time to read it.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:30:11 pm »
Most of us have read it. I wish more on the forum would read it first. But that is what the forum is for, offer help when others need it.  Oh yeah and a few jokes now and then.  ::)  ::)  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »
Hey Bill!
I just cut a "Logo" plaque for the local minor league ballclub and i think I used every speed that my 788 has!

So that should give an idea of what speed is best!!!

AND I tried a SPIRAL blade for the first time!

Boy do I have a 'learning curve' to look forward to!!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ufgator

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:54:33 pm »
GrayBeard; good idea using all the different speeds on a project to see how they all feel on the same piece of wood.  On spiral blades,  I have tried them and not sure I like them at all. Fortunately when I purchased my saw I got about 40 dozen blades, both Olsen and FD,  all sizes and types so I'm able to try them all. I'll continue to practice and experement and follow most everyones advice. This Forum is definately the "Learning Place".  Thanks Everyone!

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

SMF

Teknoromi