Author Topic: Making your own Frames  (Read 1899 times)

ufgator

Making your own Frames
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:02:05 am »
How many of you make your own frames? I am trying to make some of my own and finding it is a challenge to get them to fit square at the corners.  Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, what wood do you prefer? Thanks!

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Making your own Frames
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:26:21 am »
What kind of saw are you using to cut the corners (45?). Check the saw and make sure it is cutting a true 45?. Just being off a little will affect the corners fitting properly. I built a jig to help me assemble my frames. Makes it so much easier.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dragonlord85

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:34:22 am »
When cutting my corners for frames I do not rely on my power miter saw since it can be off by as much as 2 degrees. I still have my trusty miter box and backsaw that I use for a perfect 45 degree angle every time.

jon

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:28:04 pm »
it all depends on what your usen to cut your miter at (45's) if ur useing a miter saw or table saw check to make sure ur blade is square, and ur angle is true just cause it say's 45 on the saw dose not mean its at 45 use a speed square and t square to make sure ur blade is at a true 45 also check ur fence make sure it is "true" to the table once u have done this ur corners will turn out nice or within a hair of perfect. as far as wood to use i lean for poplur just cause it is easy  to stain and you can make it look like expensive wood. if you dont want to fuss with staining try crown molding already stained. just remember when cutting crown cut it upside down and backwards with ur sholder flat on the fence. hope this helps ;D

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:06:33 pm »
Hey Bill, I used to have  a hard time with miters too until I got a Dubby jig.
Its a table saw sled with a sliding fence. I saw it demonstrated at a woodworking show and bought it there. I used it to make a frame for my last project shown here.
Here is a link for the Dubby jig. www.in-lineindustries.com

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:12:58 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

ufgator

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:28:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  I've tried my power miter saw but I did not double check that trhe blade was a true 45 degree angle.  I will also check my table saw for correct angle and give it a try. dgman; thanks for the link but that's a little pricy for as often as I would use it.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:41:01 pm »
Bill, yes it is a little pricy, and I hated to spend the money at the time, but now that I have it I'm glad I did!
Dan In Southern California

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:01:11 pm »
Bill, here is a site to easily make your own sliding table saw sled to get those perfect 45's.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/tablesaw/tablesaw-miter-jig/

Bill

ufgator

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:24:48 am »
wedo; Thanks for the link!  Looks like a good set-up. 

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

chief

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:30 am »
I am making a sled for my table saw dedicated to cutting picture frame miters.  I have an old Ryobi BT3000 with the sliding miter table and it is a pain in the south end to get accurate 45 miters with it.  Dedicated jig will make perfect miters after some adjusting and it will always be set up for it so you can spit out a frame quickly.

Marshall

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:33:20 am »
I found that when I went to Ron Hazelton's web site on How to build your own Picture frames it helped me out a bunch................Marshall

ufgator

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:35:19 am »
chief; I'd like to see some pictures when you get it finished.  Thanks!

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

SMF

Teknoromi