Author Topic: timers/stop watches  (Read 4930 times)

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
timers/stop watches
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:21:19 pm »
i know a lot of you use stopwatches while cutting projects so you know how long it takes to cut it.any recommendations on what to get and where to buy one at?

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: timers/stop watches
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:31:17 pm »
I read somewhere, maybe here that someone hooke a regugular old clock, not digital, in line with there foot pedal and set the clock to 12:00.  Ever time the saw was running, the clock was too.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

grampa sawdust

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:06:18 pm »
i used to do that too and worked well for me to how long it took. I don't sell much or do more than 1-2 show a year.  I now have a Dwalt and a Ex 21 and have the clock but in taking plugs apart etc I can't remember how I did it and haven't set down to let my brain work. End point that worked better for me than a stop watch which I found awkward to  turn on and shut off

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »
Try one of those very short heavy duty three way plugs.  The kind that one end plugs into the foot switch and the other edn has 3 outlets.  Put the clock and the saw plugs in and they both work with the foot pedal
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:34:12 pm »
I have been looking for several years now for the old, 70"s 80'S, type of digital clock, the type that had numbers that would rotate and flip over.  Cannot seem to find one anywhere. Everyone had they and threw them out.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »
I use my iPod. Just start the clock when I get ready to cut and stop it when I'm done.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

king310

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »
Wouldn't the I-socket work with your saw and an electric clock. I think it would take the guess work out of trying to wire a clock to a foot switch.............just a thought ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

i-socket 110m Tool and Vacuum Switch
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17351&site=ROCKLER

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:21 pm »
I read somewhere, maybe here that someone hooke a regugular old clock, not digital, in line with there foot pedal and set the clock to 12:00.  Ever time the saw was running, the clock was too.
I find this idea flawed. While it might make sense to know how long it takes to complete a project, it doesn't make sense to time only when the saw is running. After all, Isn't blade changing and moving the blade from one hole to another part of the cutting process? How about preparing the wood and applying the tape and pattern, and don't forget drilling the holes. I think it would be better to set a stopwatch when you start preparing the wood, not just when you are cutting. Just my opinion!
Dan In Southern California

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41:25 pm »
I find this idea flawed. While it might make sense to know how long it takes to complete a project, it doesn't make sense to time only when the saw is running. After all, Isn't blade changing and moving the blade from one hole to another part of the cutting process? How about preparing the wood and applying the tape and pattern, and don't forget drilling the holes. I think it would be better to set a stopwatch when you start preparing the wood, not just when you are cutting. Just my opinion!
i was thinking the same thing Dan my latest project i have about 3 and half hours into it and my stopwatch i was using died thats why i asked the question in the first place. to find out if there was good reliable stopwatch out there that won't break the bank.

excalibur 21

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:49 pm »
I agree with you Dan.  It is all part of the proccess.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:43:16 pm »
Who really cares?

Lets assume that you want to make $15.00 an hour. The project from start to finish takes exactly two hours and you add the cost of the wood used and finish at $3.00. It took 3 blades and you broke a drill bit while drilling holes, so there is another $2.00. I won't even estimate the price of the machines used or the electricity for the saw, light, heat/AC etc.. Then there is glue, tape, cost of pattern and so forth.

So, my question is, has anyone ever actually priced an item that has about two hours worth of work in it for $35.00? even if you stack cut two of them, are they worth $15.50 to your customers?

Obviously, I am a hobby wood worker and am not trying to make a living making things from wood. I do sell items from time to time and feel lucky to get the cost of materials and maybe $50.00 for things like, end tables , patio benches, bed headboards and the like that take me a week or two to build. Granted, I am slow and retired (so time doesn't mean much to me) but, I have a hard time selling a blanket chest that I spent 20 hours on for $200.00 when the wood cost me $150.00.

The "Art" that we do means something to you and me and we take great pride in doing a good job and making something that the average person won't or can't do but, will that same person let go of the amount of money that it is really worth when they can go to the Mall and get something "CUTE" for a gift and spend only $10.00?

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:51 am »
My mobile phone (which I always have with me in the workshop) has a stopwatch feature in it so I just use that if I want to know how long a project takes. I now know that one of Steve Goods noses takes me 15mins from starting to glue up ready for Danish oil :D :D
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

king310

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:31:45 am »
Some people cannot get use to not punching a time clock. I start and stop when I want.  ;D not that I need to get something done so I can get it sold. I Retired not to be refitted for another job. I make things for fun and if i make a dollar that is ok also.  ;D ;D

customer:Do you want to sell that?

Me: Ok!

customer: Want do you want for it?

Me:What would you pay for it?

customer:$20?

Me:  ::) "I think to my self. let see $1 for wood, 2 cents for glue, a sheet of sandpaper, 50 cents of stain and finish...hhhmm about $2 in the project ........ Ok! I'll take $10 if that makes you happy

customer: Are you sure that is every bit of $20

Me:$10 is fine

customer: Here take the $20 that is worth it to me! :)  

They are happy and I am happy ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:50:26 am by king310 »

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 07:42:33 am »
I we tried that in the UK, when we said ?10  they would probably reply I'll give you ?5 for it. lol
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:13:47 am »
the main reason for the stopwatch is just for my purpose to know how long it takes to cut. not for selling purpose.

excalibur 21

SMF

Teknoromi