Author Topic: Holy cow! Wax!  (Read 3477 times)

Becky

Holy cow! Wax!
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:13:08 am »
I'm sure I read it here so whoever posted it has my undying thanks.  Yesterday I applied some paste wax to my scroll saw table and it was like I jumped a level in skill.  Wow.  I hadn't realized that it was hard to move/spin the wood before but after using the wax it was like dancing.  Smooth curves and quicker turns (though I still have trouble knowing just when to stop).  What a huge difference.

So how long does a waxing last?  My bad feeling is that the effects will wear away gradually and then I will be back to where I was without remembering to rewax.  Is this something I should do once a month or what?

And thanks again to whoever mentioned it!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Holy cow! Wax!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:17:18 am »
Becky, Your welcome! Once a month is good or more if it is needed.
Dan In Southern California

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:58:20 am »
i was out of wax, but remembered seeing a post from a member about using cooking spray(pam), so i tried it and i'll be darn it works lol. thanks

sp_343

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:14 am »
I cut a thin piece of plexi-glass to fit the table on my DeWalt...stuck it down with thin 2-side tape....also works well...

Dawie

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:36 am »
Missed the original post I think. Can I use any kind of wax? Never heard of someone doing it before, but sounds logical.
David

cloetpatrick

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:04:15 am »
 ;) If I understand you are talking about a product that is put to make the table more slippery when it works.
I use a commonplace product containing silicone cylinder. It is a kind of silicone oil will not stain the wood.  ;)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:52:54 am »
W A X !

Choice of most scrollers seems to be Johnson's Paste Wax in the nice YELLOW can!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:04:36 pm »
Ok I gotta ask ... What is Johnson's Paste Wax usually used for?? (so I know where to look for it)  I have been using turtle wax for vehicles.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »
Usually found around the 'cleaning products'.

Original use was furniture and floor wax!

Our grandmas and moms used it to wax the hardwood floors before all the liquid stuff was invented!

Cannot Imagine doing a whole floor that way!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »
The common knowledge is not to use any wax product with silicon in it. The silicon can prevent stain finishes from properly penetrating the wood. While I know there is truth to this I have never had it be a problem with scroll saw projects. I have used car waxes and not had a problem but to be safe just use Johnsons Paste wax. It does not contain silicon. Look for the can below in the floor wax section or cleaning supplies.

Becky

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:08:11 pm »
Ah, Dgman, it was you huh?  Yay for you!   ;D

OK, now I just need to remember to do it each month.  The wax I had on hand isn't Johnson's but I didn't see anywhere that it said it had silicon in it.  I guess it's OK. 

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:23:40 pm »
Becky, You can use any kind of wax that you might use for woodworking such as minwax finishing wax, carnuba wax and so on. But as Steve mentioned do not use car wax because it contains silicon which may or may not effect finishing projects.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:18 pm »
Would you beleive Wal-Mart doesn't carry it? :o
At least no any aroung here. I will keep looking.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 10:45:48 pm »
I have to comment on the silicone in wax. Being a former employee of a major silicone company I have had many experiences with silicone. The base of the stain you use is important. I believe that those who had a problem may have been using a water based stain or dye. Silicones are great for repelling water and that is probably what is going on. You can also have a similar issue with paints. The water based paint would be repelled, also some oil based also would be repelled.
Bill 

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:53:22 pm »
I have never used anything on the scroll table.  Never thought I needed it.  But what the heck, I will try it with the Johnson wax and see if it is an improvement.

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi