Author Topic: Lemon Oil Finish  (Read 3599 times)

northie66

Lemon Oil Finish
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »
I'm sure there's info on using this on Steve's site... can someone point me to it?

Dan

Re: Lemon Oil Finish
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »
Go to his site and search lemon oil. Something should come up. I think He did a vidio about it also.

Dan

ripchief

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:47:24 pm »
Steve has two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sdgood#p/u/135/ZjM6_3l_ApQ
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sdgood#p/u/134/Dv4zGbYkSg4

I've also found that Orange Oil from General Finishes provides similar results as the Lemon Oil.

northie66

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:11 am »
I'm really getting tired of spraying on a varnish.  It doesn't look that good to me anyway.  I wanted to try something new.  Any other suggestions are welcome :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:04:36 pm by Janet »

Marshall

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:10 am »
Janet I use Min-Wax spray-on poly High gloss and have had good luck with it . Some don't like the high gloss , but you know you can step-it-down to semi-gloss or Stain finish also ..............

Joesawdust

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:54:05 pm »
Unless someone requests different, I use Watco natural danish oil.

grampa

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:23:56 pm »
Hi Janet, I use Danish oil, works great and you can get it in different shades....Paul ;D

Rightarm

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »
    Janet. I use Old English Lemon Oil. I have a old 1 gal. ice cream pail. I just put the piece in the pail and soak it down with a rag I keep in the oil. I then take it out and let dry on paper towel. Dave 8)

ripchief

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:38:17 pm »
Try drying on the painter's pyramids...It allows air to flow throughout the project for a better, faster, more even drying.

Becky

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:13:03 pm »
There are wipe on gels you can use.  I think that would be a major pain with fretwork but it works great on relatively solid pieces.  I've also used wipe on liquid polyurethane but it takes several coats and a lot of drying time between coats.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 11:03:47 pm »
Janet -

I buy Old English Lemon Oil at Target.  It is basically a furniture polish.  It will dry away completely in a short while.  You will still need to use some king of finish to seal your work.  I use spray-on varnish, usually satin, because it dries so quickly.  Poly takes a long time to dry and I am a bit impatient.  There are oils such as Danish Oil that will seal when they dry, but it does take a while.  You can aways leave things natural which I do with most toys and puzzles.  The Lemon Oil will make it look nice and give you an idea how it will look finished, but it evaporates in a relatively short time, if left alone.

Barry

Dan

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:27:35 am »
I use Lemon oil on most of my projects except ones that I paint. You do need to seal the Lemon Oil finish however. The oil will transfer to other surfaces if you don't.

Dan

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:29 am »
The oil will transfer to other surfaces if you don't. Dan

I had not heard that before.  I'll have to keep that in mind as I just picked up several bottles yesterday to try Steve's infamous finishing technique.  Now I may have to re-think it.  Tung oil once dried does not do that.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

GWhit

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 08:27:56 am »
My 'finishing booth' is usually a cardboard box outside so I like using Deft lacquer, dries in 10 min. so it don't gather a lot of dust etc. and I can get a lot of coats in a short time.  Gloss or satin.
I tried other bargin lacq. but they arent nearly as good as Deft. I buy it at Home Depot.

Gordon 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:32 am »
Gordon...is the Deft Laq a spray can or liquid format?
Never use laq before but the ddrying time is right up my alley!

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi