Author Topic: Paintbrushes  (Read 1850 times)

northie66

Paintbrushes
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:24:22 pm »
I paint a lot of my work.  I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best brand of paintbrushes?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:05:16 pm by Janet »

cherie

Re: Paintbrushes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:25:50 pm »
I think Shelia needs to step up to the plate on this one...where are you Shelia!!!

ripchief

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:38 pm »
Purdy...I have used them for interior wall painting for years, and recently added their natural bristle brushes to my arsenal...I cut some of Steve's fairy patterns for the garden, and used the Purdy natural bristle brushes to apply Cabot exterior stains (all the outdoor stuff gets treated with this stuff)...I normally use cedar or cypress for the outdoor stuff.

As for interior stuff, I don't paint anything...As much as possible, I try to select woods based on their natural tones for a particular project...If I need to add color, I stain using dye stains...Paint and "regular" stains are pigment colorings that remain on the surface of the wood, which have a tendency to hide the grain...Dye stains, on the other hand, penetrate the wood and allow the wood grain to show through.

Dan

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:45:58 pm »
If you are using Acrylic paint you might try the foam brushes. The come in a number of widths and are easy to clean. Also cheap.

Dan

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »
Another vote for PURDY. Been painting as a handyman and professional for years. Most used brush by the Pros in all types and grades!
They aren't cheap and they really LAST....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:48:23 am »
Sorry, everyone, I packed it in early last night!  (I have to recharge this battery sometimes!)

Janet, are you looking to paint small thing and details or furniture and walls?  I do decorative painting and really love Lowe-Cornell brushes.  The 7000 series with the black handles are their best line and even though they are a little more expensive, they are the best brushes on the market, I believe.  In the States, they are available by mail order at www.artistsclub.com and you will get the best prices there.  (Anyone can order from there, but at the border they throw so many taxes and duties on them, it is best for me to buy from Canada) :(  

If that is what you are talking about and you need more information, just let me know and I will be happy to help.

:)  Sheila
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:12:58 am by scrollgirl »
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

ufgator

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:52:12 am »
Sheila is right on the mark. My wife does decorative painting also and Lowe-Cornel is one of her favorites of the several gazillion she has.  She says that artistclub no longer sells them but are available at brushesandmore.com. For her the BEST brush is Black Gold (by Dynasty) available at Amazon.com but they are Very expensive. As with most things it is what feels good to you and how much you'r willing to pay.  In my opinion, the most expensive is Not always the best for My needs.  Good Luck!

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:33:18 am »
Gator...so correct!

The best price is the price for the item that suits your needs and gets the job done.

Learned that as a Purchasing Agent of many years. It is especially tough sometimes when you are bound by 'policy' to go with the lowest BID. Not always the Best Bid! As my former employers found out on several occasions!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Marshall

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 11:35:49 am »
I'm a Purdy man too ............

Rightarm

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:48:19 am »
    I use Purdy myself. You can find them at any hardware store. Dave 8)

SMF

Teknoromi