Author Topic: 788 Tension adjustment!  (Read 1772 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
788 Tension adjustment!
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »
They must not test the new saw very thoroughly...

I had to get into mine and turn that 'tension rod' four full turns to get tension on the blade.
Started out running at about 3/4's position and ended up this morning I couldn't get enough with it cranked all the way.

Now about 3 1/2 and she's singing a pretty note!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ufgator

Re: 788 Tension adjustment!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:43:07 pm »
GrayBeard; where is "tension rod" on the 788?  I seem to have missed something.  Thank You!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:18:43 pm »
Hey GrayBeard, as you use your 788 the  surfaces on the blade clamps start to get smooth and the blades start to slip. Take the thumb screw out and sand the flat end with 150 or 220 grit sand paper. Also sand the ends of the blades to remove any oil that are there from the manufacturing process. If the blade slips in the blade clamp, you cant tension properly.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:37:26 pm »
Hey GrayBeard, as you use your 788 the  surfaces on the blade clamps start to get smooth and the blades start to slip. Take the thumb screw out and sand the flat end with 150 or 220 grit sand paper. Also sand the ends of the blades to remove any oil that are there from the manufacturing process. If the blade slips in the blade clamp, you cant tension properly.

Did all that BEFORE getting into the 'head' and tightening up that rod.

Just was a bit sloppy from the factory and I didn't feel like taking it over to the Service Center so soon!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:27 pm »
GrayBeard; where is "tension rod" on the 788?  I seem to have missed something.  Thank You!

Somebody who can describe it much better than I posted this adjustment a week or so ago.
Maybe "Search" for 'tension' will lead you to it.

Otherwise I will have to tell you later! Waiting for BBQ sauce to cool so I can label it, for now.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »
Hey GrayBeard, The problem with making this adjustment is it changes the geometry of the arms. This adjustment is usually done when a knocking sound appears in the upper arm. After making this adjust many times, I lost the thickness capacity of the saw which is about 2". I couldn't cut anything thicker than 3/4" Also blades were breaking prematurely. I didn't want to be without a saw while it was in the shop so I bought a new 788. Still haven't sent in the old saw yet!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi