Author Topic: Stupid ROOKIE mistake!!!  (Read 4921 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Stupid ROOKIE mistake!!!
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:37:27 pm »
I can't believe I just did that!!!

Ever happen to you???
Nice piece just finished staining a nice dark Walnut and letting it dry.
Back out to the shop after a cold drink of lemonade.
Two spray cans sitting side by side both say SATIN!!!
Grab Spray can of 'satin finish'.

Press nozzle...WHITE satin finish enamel!!!!!!

Time to quit for the day and get a cold beer!!!!!

Stupid Rookie Misteak!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Stupid ROOKIE mistake!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »
GreyBeard, Haven't done that but have picked up a can spray adhesive instead of  lacquer. Caught my self before I sprayed. ::)
Dan In Southern California

Joesawdust

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:57:34 pm »
That hurts just thinking about that happening. I have used the wrong color of stain a time or two.

Greg

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:05:24 pm »
Stains are now in one cabinet!
Spray finishes in another ....
and PAINTS are in the BASEMENT!!!

Won't make that mistake again!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ufgator

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 07:08:13 pm »
I feel sorry for you!  Sometimes it's tough being a human. We ALL make mistakes, I hope you are able to correct it.  Good Luck! ! !

Happier Scrolling
     Bill

cherie

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 07:57:14 pm »
So what does the mistake look like now?  Any pictures or did you throw it away?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 08:54:43 pm »
No throw away! Hit it with the sander and was able to salvage it. Had to re-stain but it will pass. Is an attendance prize for a picnic on Monday so time to do over if needed but not necessary. PIc later...I'm tired!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 09:33:29 pm »
I did that exact thing about two years ago (and I don't think I was considered a 'rookie' then!)  I was making the final touches on some ornaments that HAD to go to the magazine for the Holiday issue and I grabbed the can of white enamel and started giving them a good spray.  It was about the third or forth coat and I was able to wipe it off quickly, but I had to lightly sand some of them to get rid of the evidence.  Boy, was I mad!  I guess that is why they color code the caps on the sprays.  But sometimes that just isn't enough.  You bet your bippie that I check the label before spraying since then. :)

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!  :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

boxmaker

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »
Well, I am glad you could salvage it. I have made some mistakes where they turned out to be firewood. Here is a finish tip on finishes, I am not sure where I read this but, If you use polyurethane in a can, not a spray can, and want a gloss finish and only have a satin finish you can use the satin finish in the can, just do not stir it, it is the stirring that mixes small particles from the bottom of the can that create the satin finish. I am not sure if a spray can of satin finish would be glossy if you did not shake it, the ball in the can is what mixes it up.

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 01:11:56 am »
Ed you must have loved yourself! Nearly made that mistake last week, just caught meself in time. I had used blank spray and red spray and did not replace the caps so grabbed the first one and started to go outside and then it struck me that the can was rather heavier than I remember, checked and it was red and not blank. Gld you could salvage it though.
David

cloetpatrick

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:51 am »
 ;D I almost have the same joke, but I saw him in time. And for good reason, I always look what is written on the box, on the tube on the bottle or on the bomb before using certain products or painting whatsoever.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:26:28 am by cloetpatrick »

Rightarm

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 07:39:32 am »
    I did something stupid. I use lemon oil, and finish it with Acrylic Lacquer. I wasn't paying any mind to what I was doing. Grabbed a can of Lacquer, (Black spray paint). AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I could not believe what I had just done. Was lucky. sanded it down. Broke a piece off. Had to glue the piece back on. I was really glad when that project was done. Dave

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 12:42:57 pm »
I haven't made that mistake yet. Notice I said yet. I think the odds are it could happen to anyone, just a matter of time. 
::)  ::)  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

ripchief

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:54:46 pm »
Who stains walnut, and with the walnut being so dark already, what color other than black can you make walnut look like?

Becky

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:06:06 am »
Ouch!  I haven't done that (yet) but I can easily imagine me doing it or something similar.  It's like spraying deodorant in your hair or putting Neosporin on your toothbrush.   ;)

SMF

Teknoromi