Author Topic: Spiral Blades - Attn: Charlie D.  (Read 2305 times)

ufgator

Spiral Blades - Attn: Charlie D.
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:19:25 pm »
It seems that a lot of people do not like or do well with spiral blades, yet you seem to do great things with them.  What is the secret to your success with them?

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Charlie Dearing

Re: Spiral Blades - Attn: Charlie D.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:07:25 pm »
It sounds cliche to say, but it's just practice.  I am scared to death to try a flat blade for the same reason lol.  When using a spiral, like with any blade, let the blade do the work.  Steer your workpiece.  I guess one piece of advice would be...when you near the end of a cut....stop and let the blade UNflex.  Wish I could help more, but it may be easier to answer more specific questions.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:44:48 pm »
I havn't tried them [to new to the saw] but as Charlie says practice the same as anything you do
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:40:14 am »
I suppose your right about practice. Maybe I didn't give it enough practice but when I tried this past weekend I just could not get the hang of the spiral blades.
Dan In Southern California

chief

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:44:41 am »
I actually started with spiral blades and now have a hard time with regular blades.

ufgator

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:14:31 am »
Thanks Charlie!  As i suspected, practice is the rule.  I'm sure this will get others to give it a second try. I know I will.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:04:06 am »
I use spiral blades all the time, I started out with them. I tried the flat ones a couple of times but am too lazy to put in the practise I guess. Hey Charlie....is there a finer spiral smaller than .024 that is not brittle?
I'm from North Dakota

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 10:29:08 am »
I have no idea Judy.  I use the thicker ones due to large pieces and stack cutting.

UHMNL

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 12:35:07 pm »
Hi Judy,
The smallest I sell is the 2/0.
I don't think you can find a smaller on.

This might be of some help:

All spiral blades are made from regular flat blades. After the teeth are milled in the blade, the blade is heated and then twisted
and then it goes through an oil bath to get the hardness.
If your read "How Blades are Made" might help somewhat.
Spirals with reverse teeth are made from regular blades with reverse teeth. The blades with flat ends are flattened after they are heated.
The new spiral is also made from a regular blade, however after the teeth are milled, the roll is reversed and then there are teeth put in the back side
of the blade. This makes them a lot easier to control, the others have a mind of their own and like to cut into the soft spots of the wood.
Spiral blade are use when the wood is too big for the saw and they really like them to cut portraits and wild animals and wild live.

FD Mike

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:53:52 am »
I think Mike just answered most of my question. Just tried spiral blades today and enjoyed what I could do. Seems like I can only get one size around here, don't know if your sizes and those here in europe match up. Flat blades come from 1-6,(strangely no nr 3 or5) use 4 mainly, but the spiral does not even carry a numeber just says for internal cuts and hard corners.
Think I will start using the spirals I have a bit more like the way you  can guide the wood from any direction without having to turn tight corners.
David

SMF

Teknoromi