Author Topic: improvement for any scroll saw  (Read 1677 times)

woodcrafter tom

improvement for any scroll saw
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:38 pm »
I have found that any scroll saw may  improve performance by taking off the saw from the stands that come with some of them and put it on a solid table or bench with a piece of rug backing or foam underneath. I have a Dewalt 788 and two cheaper saws that have a noticeable improvement in smoothness and quietness by doing this. The biggest waste of money is the stand for the 788. I have yet to see one on display that does not wiggle or shake while the saw is in operation.Maybe that is why they include them in the sale of the saw because they don't want them either !!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: improvement for any scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 04:24:05 pm »
My short experience is just the opposite!
The 788 on the stand is rock solid on my concrete garage floor and not a wiggle or bounce.

I wonder if the saws you have seen just needed to have the stand bolts really torqued down TIGHT!

I assembled my stand, mounted the saw, ran it for a few hours, dusted it off and Re-Torqued the bolts just to make sure I got them all and that they remained tight. Use of the provided 'lock washers' is very important.

So far mine is running steady and vibration free.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ufgator

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:44:37 pm »
I agree with GrayBeard, mine is solid as a rock and I'm on a wooden floor.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:55:01 pm »
Hey Tom, I'm with GreyBeard on this one. The stand for the 788 is designed to help dampen vibration. My stand sits very solidly on the floor and does not wobble. There was a time that DeWalt came out with a different stand that had four legs, and ever body that had one hated it, so they came back with the three legged one. Perhaps yours was the four legged model?
For the DeWalt saw, I would definitely recommend the stand!
Dan In Southern California

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »
     What I did was cut the tread off a old tread mill, and lined my work bench with it. I have no vibration whatsoever. worked for me. Dave

chips

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:54:46 pm »
 I'll agree with all you guys that say your 788 is rock solid with the stand DeWalt provides.

But I'm really getting a kick out of the spell checker that blanks out bad language. In Graybeards message near the top where tells how he put together his stand? Apparently the checker for bad language will blank out those words even if there inside another word. The SAW subject line has also been edited. I can see this is going to be pretty hilarious as time goes by.

chief

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:27:16 am »
My 788 stand is rock solid and I move it around the garage a bit to clean up.  The 3 legged design is great because it doesnt require a perfectly flat surface to be stable.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 10:10:34 am »
My 788 is solid as can be but I did have SUPERMAN tighten the bolts, and I cut an old carpet that just fits the stand and then on top of that I put a small square of carpet padding under each leg. That way it doesn't move on the carpet and it moves easy.
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi