Author Topic: Scrollsaw Association of the World  (Read 6867 times)

Dragonlord85

Scrollsaw Association of the World
« on: June 03, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
Do any of you belong to SAW and if so is it worth joining?

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Scrollsaw Association of the World
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 04:57:48 pm »
I was a member of SAW for a year and I'm ashamed to say I did not renew my membership. SAW is an international organization that provides education and organization to people interested in the art of scrolling. When you join you are supporting the advancement of the hobby more than anything else. They put out a newsletter and other publications. They have a yearly EXPO. This year the EXPO is in Ohio. They also have a website with resources for scrollers. They encourage and help members start local chapters.

I guess it depends on what you expect to get from a SAW membership if it would be of value to you.

cherie

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »
As much as I love scrolling, and I was a member at one time, it did not fit well with me.  First off there was no one in my area and no meetings and still is none in my area.  Besides I know the yearly fee is not much, but here lately I just can't afford it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »
I considered joining until I found out the ANNUAL membership fee was I think $25....

And frankly I have better uses for the $25!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dragonlord85

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:58:19 pm »
That was kind of my feeling as well Graybeard and the fact that there is not a chapter within 400 miles of me.

Rightarm

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:41:49 pm »
     Can we start our own organizasion? We could call it. Maybe something like, Steve's Scrollsawers, Scrollsawing Stevers, Or I'm going to get a hair cut like Steve, yeah I like that one. dave

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 09:56:30 pm »
Put down the drink brother. ;)   I think the SAW has good intentions but too many changes and drama in the upper ranks.  One of those upper ranks is the one who sold my patterns as his own.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 10:47:43 pm »
"Scrollsawing Stevers",  Now that's funny right there I don't care what any body else thinks.
LOLO my sides hurt.
 :o  :o  :o
P.S.  I would have left the hair cut thing out. Ya know he reads these posts.
 ::)  ::)  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 12:52:31 am »
Sorry fellas I am not cutting my hair like any of ya's.  it has taken me forever to get it as long as it is now!!

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 01:05:36 am »
Mine use to be longer than yours.  Ahem, back on topic folks ;)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 04:09:50 am »
I was a member of the [NAW] NZ ASS, of woodskills and for $50 a year you got  4 mags a year trash material[sorry to say] and that was about it, if you were a pro turner you reaped the benifits.
Then they nearlly went broke so in all there wisdom they decided to put a$5 lever on all members of a woodcrafters club in NZ and guess what they bluffed there way through it, what do the clubs get  an insurance cover, sounded more like protection money to me, I put my 2 pennies worth in and asked how many claims our local club had had??? none, our club payed last year $700
What do you think of that??? the pros and the money people benifit the most , where is the justice
Jimbo

Bill P

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 03:36:29 pm »
I'm a current member of SAW, but will be letting my membership expire.  I posted a question on another topic page here, looking for others in Oregon, and didn't get any responce.  That's indicative of why I'm quitting; there's nothing offered for anyone out my way.  That aside, I see nothing for the annual dues except a monthly(ish) flyer with news that never seems to apply to me.  Hmmm, did all that sounds selfish?

Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 03:55:59 pm »
"Hmmm, did all that sounds selfish?"
I don't think so. I thought about joining but from all I have heard I am glad I didn't. I think it depends on what part of the country you are in.
 8)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:00:44 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »
Dos'n matter where one live my experience with national associations there is only a few that really benift, they say they cater for kids but see how many are members, and as I said in my other post when they levy all members of clubs in your country as they have done here I think it stinks
Jimbo

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 10:38:32 pm »
Bill P., I also live in Oregon (Clackamas) and have not found any one local enough to get to gether on a regular basis.  I do subscribe to SAW and although it may not provide direct benefit on a day to day basis, I do enjoy reading about clubs and their efforts.

Pieter

SMF

Teknoromi