Author Topic: Important  (Read 3545 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Important
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:02:26 am »
I was at our monthly club meating last night and one of our members had an imortant message.
His [shed, work shop] had been brocken ito during the night and all his hand tools plus power tools had been stolen, he said the only thing left was his lathe and scroll saw, both wre bolted down, his shed was locked.
It is important to itemise all your tools and keep reciepts for insurance purposes, it is alsoa good idea to take photos of all you gear
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Important
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:57:40 am »
Very good advise.
They will have to go through allot to get to mine. Fence, gates, locks, doors, dog, gun. I do have a shoot,,, ask questions later policy. LOL 
 :o  :o  :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:00:48 am by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:05:52 am »
 >:( Indeed! ... We should be more careful ... I will quickly take a picture of each tool and machine that I have, and make an inventory ... You never know that it happens, that all is well enclosed by high walls around three meters around! ...
It's really ugly what happened to this person! ...  :-[

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:23:23 am »
It is really sad when you think about it.  There are many people in my area with summer 'camps' at some of the many, many little lakes we have in our area that get broken into almost annually.  Many times it is kids looking for a place to drink and party.  It makes me feel really old because when I was a teenager, I was living in Chicago and in the summer we used to sneak out and meet at the school yard with sometimes up to 10 friends.  All we did though was sit and talk and feel really cool because we were out so late.  We never once defaced anything or anyone's property.  I see pictures of that neighborhood now and it makes me really sad.  The world sure changed since I was young.  Anyway . . .

It is a great idea to take pictures of your tools and shop.  Ideally, you should put the pictures on a CD and send one to your insurance company or at least keep it at a different location.  That way if there were a fire or some other disaster you would still be OK. I recently did this with my pattern files, as they are numerous and if I were to 'lose' them I would be  . . . .well . . .lost!

Thanks for giving us the heads up. I hope none of us ever need the pictures, but if we do, it is good to be prepared.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:14:48 am »
I was broken in to a few years ago.
No papers or photos.
Insurance nearly didn't pay out.
They took every thing dad and grand-dads old tools. And they even unbolted the bench mounted tools,(with my tools).

Now have papers, books photos the lot even engraved most items.
Ars*e holes (sorry)

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:18:03 am »
I've had everything I own stolen twice.  Yeah, receipts, numbers, video, etc.  Don't learn the hard way like I did.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:05:36 am »
Video is also another way to document your property (tools, etc) and is recommended by most insurance companys. Especially if damage was done to the building. It can help prove the buildings condition before the damage occurred.  :)

cherie

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:45 am »
Going to get out the camera, and a piece of paper and start writing.  Thanks for the warning.  This is something we never thought about.

Dawie

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:00:49 am »
Thanks Jimbo,
Good to be reminded of these things now and again, have receipts of most stuff and photo's too. Will just double check everything and put the receipts somewhere else they are now in my shop in a shoebox.
David.

Marshall

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:20:13 am »
I'm sure glad you guys shared this with me , they must have wanted them bad . Usually thiefs will not steal anything you have to work with , this is what I've always heard anyhow .....in this day and time nothing surprizes me ......Marshall   ::)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:32:48 am »
Most of the time thiefs will pawn the items (tools). So check your local pawn shops for any stolen items. It might be a good idea to mention that to the member. Just a thought.  8)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:59:15 pm »
Unfortunatly thieves take anything they think they can sell, a lot of it is drug related I'm sure, these people if you can call them that have no concience.
My work shop is in our garage that is part of the house and we are also alarmed, it helps but does not stop them
Jimbo

cloetpatrick

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:37:05 am »
 ;) Yes, and we must do this always in duplicate and triplicate see them in enndroits different, but especially not where everything has been checked! ... As soon as I get home, I film and photograph everything everything ... I make photocopies of my bills, I place one at my brother, in my personal records and another with my son. Then I informed my insurance that I did. (If not too late !...)  :-\

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:24:25 am »
Ever totaled up how much money you have spent on tools and machinary, plus all your finishing gear, if you own a lathe and have turning tools they would have to be the most expensive chisels one can buy
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:19 am »
Yes I have. A whole lot and my wife reminds me of it even if I mention new tool.
 ::)  ::)  ::)

SMF

Teknoromi