Author Topic: Sanding Pad Question  (Read 6842 times)

Becky

Re: Sanding Pad Question
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 11:01:19 pm »
You can also get 12" x 12" pieces of "granite" tile from Home Depot or probably Lowes too.  I use the temp. adhesive spray that I use for patterns and attach a sheet of sandpaper to that.  I put some of that shelf stuff under the tile.  It will still slide a little bit now and then but it is a good straight platform to just lay the piece on and slide it back and forth for light sanding.

Somebody told me I should have gone to a store that does granite counter tops and asked them if they had any scraps but that was after I'd already bought a few tiles.  They were only about $2 each anyway.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:37 pm »
Good post Gary - I have the same problems with holding pieces for sanding.  Thanks for the good ideas, everyone.  Crusty and Bill have really got me thinking. 

Barry

cloetpatrick

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 01:47:47 am »
Because  I have problems with my hands. I mounted my vibrating sander upside down to my bench. Its easier to hold the wood than the sander

I tried turning a triangular sander upside down in my vise, but I did not touch strong enough to hold small parts, especially if they are only five millimeters thick. Which means that I sand my nails over my wood! ...

I tried also on the end carpets are made of rubber anti d?rappant, but when it came to small parts, carpet was rolled between the workpiece and the table because it is too late.

Finally I tried also with double sided tape, but no one knows sanding side, because when we returned on the room for the sand on the other hand, there is always the double-sided adhesive that comes to remmettre on the piece.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 03:33:21 am »
Has anyone tried the Rockler Bench Cookie. I saw the video demo, the guy uses a belt sander on a piece of wood being held by the Bench Cookies and it didn't move. For routing, sanding, carving and more. Very impressive and not over priced. 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 03:57:15 am »
Has anyone tried the Rockler Bench Cookie. I saw the video demo, the guy uses a belt sander on a piece of wood being held by the Bench Cookies and it didn't move. For routing, sanding, carving and more. Very impressive and not over priced. 8)

Here is an idea this ... A belt sander with a freeze placed vertically on the bottom ... Take a stick and glue the small room above with rubber glue ... A kind of chewing gum that is put behind for pasting posters on the walls ... This product can be continuously reused and leaves no trace when removed ... Because it behaves like a sucker ...

Then apply the patch over the band sander and retained by the stick ...

I do not know what a cookies.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 04:25:01 am »
Here is the Web Site for the Rockler Bench Cookie.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21496
 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 05:12:02 am »
Yes, I see now, we'll call it antid?rappants skates, and it is true that it is very convenient. But I thought it was much more expensive! ... I'll go see where I buy my stuff! ... We have four runners for 22 euros 10, with my right discount instead of 26. That made 27 dollards instead of 31.
This makes three times more expensive than you!...  :'(  :-\

In my store, they also sell the rubber mat which is much cheaper, 10 euro = 12 dollards. They are 30 centimeters by 80 centimeters and can stick a big block of wood. I just need to make two holes on the fields of the block and tighten it on my set with claws attached.
I would be a good table sanding flat on the cheap. I think I'll opt for that. Nothing prevents me also make me a little slip surface for small parts, because I can cut the carpet to the size I want.
In addition, it can serve me well for my router for my knives carving.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:22:07 am by cloetpatrick »

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 10:33:10 am »
I use a 24" clamp and hold my 1/4 sheet sander upside down.  Works great for me I just put it on top of my home made downdraft table which has the anti slip pad on top.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Dustyknees

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 10:37:22 am »
The backside of an old mousepad works well for me ..

Gary

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 11:57:57 am »
 Thank you all for sharing your innovative solutions. I'm excited to give them a try......Gary 

Dawie

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 04:21:09 pm »
I just turn my sander upside down in my vice and this works ok for me. Am planning on buying a small beltsander from proxxon once I get the money together.
David

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 04:57:17 pm »
A word of warning/advice I had my 3inch belt sander upside down in the vice for some time and failed to dust it regular, and you guessed it the dust killed it quick smart.
I don't think they like being upside down without regular dusting/cleaning.

merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Joesawdust

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:56 pm »
All right let me try this again, here is a link to my sanding station that I made several years ago, it works great for fretwork.
http://joesawdust-thesawdustfactory.blogspot.com/2010/06/sanding-station.html

Greg

cloetpatrick

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 02:45:51 am »
All right let me try this again, here is a link to my sanding station that I made several years ago, it works great for fretwork.
http://joesawdust-thesawdustfactory.blogspot.com/2010/06/sanding-station.html

Greg

Waooowww! ... Super sanding table, I could do myself to make one with the suction system again, it vraimant practice! ... Not have it as great for me !...

jim stiek

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 10:26:30 am »
if you can find someone laying carpet they usually have scraps of foam pad laying around, ikeep a stash of these in a cabinet they last quite long and are free and work really great.

SMF

Teknoromi