Author Topic: Sanding Pad Question  (Read 6840 times)

Gary

Sanding Pad Question
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:02:40 pm »
Hi All,
     I was wondering what you use to hold or lay thin material on while sanding with an orbital or vibrating sander or just hand sanding.  My finger tips have hardly any prints left. For you gals with long nails that has to be a big problem. I have a rubber  dimpled type pad for use with router's to hold the wood firm but it is pretty much useless with a vibrating sander. Any ideas would be appreciated. 1/8 inch plywood is really hard for me.....Gary

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Sanding Pad Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »
Hi, Gary:
I use those foam pads that kind of go together like puzzle pieces and they use them for flooring in shops, etc.  I know Wal-Mart carries them and many other places like Sam's Club do too.  I found some in our dollar store here that were about 1 foot square that are ideal for smaller items.  The pads support, but they also give a little bit so the piece doesn't go sliding all over the place.  The ones used for flooring and mats are about 2.5 feet square.  They would certainly be good for a shop table, I would think. 

:)  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

cloetpatrick

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:22:25 pm »
 ;) You can pinch small pieces that can not be held with the fingers just by jamming with the nails with a head on a block of wood that is tennu on the bench with clamps attached.
Nails should be driven course so it does not exceed the piece to be sanded  ;)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »
I use an piece of carpet glued to plywood aprox 30"X30". Holds the wood, works well for me and the price was right, Free.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:06:14 pm »
I use the rubbery shelf liners myself.  Also double sided carpet tape to hold down the shelving pieces. 

Joesawdust

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »
Several years ago I made a frame from 1x2 that is approx. 18"x24" and put a piece of pegboard on top so the dust has somewhere to go, then I stapled the rubber shelf liner to it. You could put a hole in it somewhere to stick a shop vac hose in for dust extraction also. I had to put a cross member in the center of mine for support, but one that is say 12x12" probably wouldn't need it. I'll try to remember to get some pics and post them in a day or so.
Greg

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:35 pm »
Because  I have problems with my hands. I mounted my vibrating sander upside down to my bench. Its easier to hold the wood than the sander

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »
Great idea crusty59. Got me thinking, I might try that.  Necessity is the mother of inventions.  8)

cherie

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 06:13:19 pm »
Wow.  My hands always hurt when I am done sanding, even the smallest thing, now I have to have Jaun build me something else.  Has anyone ever used the Sand-Flee?  I know it is the same as a small drum sander, but I have been reading up on it.  Any thoughts will be a great help.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »
I have one Cherie.  I do like it, but it has been in storage because I am in a small place right now and don't have room for it.  It does a decent job, even on fretwork plaques.  I did find that I did still have to lightly sand some little fuzzies that were left behind.  But that was more detail sanding.  Overall, I like it though.  I am interested in seeing what others think of it too. Should we start a new thread you think?

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

cherie

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:28:39 pm »
Working on it as we speak.  Thanks Sheila.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 06:35:06 pm »
I saw the demo video. I just think they are a little priceeee. I have also been looking on craigs list but haven't seen one yet.  ::)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »
For small stuff I turn my 1/4 sheet sander upside down in a wood vise.  I also have a 6X48 stationery belt sander that gets a lot of the shaping and gross sanding work.  I subscribe to the motto of the "Mere Mortals of Woodworking" website which states that the steps in woodworking are, saw, glue, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, beer.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

cherie

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 08:44:33 pm »
I still think that beer would add a little color to wood if it were spilt.  LOL

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 09:31:01 pm »
Hi Gary
When sanding a flat piece of wood ready for cutting I use anti slip cloth it can be bought from the $ shops and exelent, I use it with a belt sander as well as an orbital, it you are uses sand paper in you had to sand get some medium density foam and wrap the paper around that, for sandind edges I glue the paper on to a narrow piece of wood, I use worn sanding belts, hope this helps
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi