Author Topic: Making patterns and copyright  (Read 2279 times)

boxmaker

Making patterns and copyright
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:42:57 pm »
I am new to this forum, but not new to steves blog. I watched a lot of steves videos and learned how to make some patterns with Corel Draw. I purchased Corel Draw student version and made some patterns. I cut out a few to see if they work, but have not tried selling the finished projects, I have no intentions of selling patterns, just the finished projects. I am not sure about copyright of ideas I used. I also purchased some patterns from Sheila Landry, and liked her quilt box patterns. So I went online and found some free quilt block patterns for making quilts, and I have made scroll saw patterns out of them. Am I taking Sheilas Idea and her copyright, the patterns for the top are entirely different, but I still use the box bottom. Also am I taking the quilt block idea and taking there copyright. I guess I do not want to infringe. If what I am doing is wrong please let me know. I would like to make some patterns, but do not know how not to infringe on copyright.

cloetpatrick

Re: Making patterns and copyright
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:43:33 pm »
I do not know, vis a vis America, but we know that in Europe when the model is released freely on the net, there would have over copyright. However, between us, we always respect these copyrights, even if they are free.
Personally, I have many styles freely ssssur the net and I say to all you can use the models to scroll, you can sell the parts from my models, but the plans themselves remain my property and is therefore prohibited to sale.
Also, before you make a free modelle is complicated, I always ask in principle to the author if he is willing to sell me the piece that comes out of his plan, knowing that I can give the plan another, but especially do not sell.

Now I know some people makes new plans from photographs, I find it really bad on their part because if the author shows his work with a photograph, this does not mean that the object is free to law . thus, these copiers become outlaws in my opinion, they should be denounced in this case. All work deserves pay! ...

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:59:09 am »
I just wanted to reply to this thread to help clarify on how I feel about this.  As a designer, much of my purpose in designing scroll saw patterns is so that people can make them for gifts and sell the finished items at craft shows.  Many times people contact me requesting permission to change or modify my patterns to their own needs or liking.  Not only do I not mind this, I encourage it.  The satisfaction one gets from creating something is part of the process and certainly fuels people to continue making things.  Creativity feeds the soul, and there are very few people here on this list or scroll sawing in general that are in it to make a lot of money.  Most of us just want to make enough to justify our wood and tool purchases!  I have heard of very few people who are financially 'rich' because of scroll sawing. 

I have a gallery page on my site and I encourage people to send me pictures of their projects that they do.  Some customers take two patterns and combine them to make other projects.  I love this!  It is a compliment to me and I love seeing what others do with my designs.  Using them as a springboard for their own creativity is wonderful, I think.

What I (and most designers I know) frown upon, is others who buy our patterns and then change them slightly and sell the resulting pattern as their own.  That is what I consider stealing.  I realize that you can't copyright a concept, but some people can be downright blatant in their actions and it really hurts us. Others 'trade' our patterns to fiends or clubs and that also hurts.

Mass production is another no-no.  Several customers have called me because they have CNC routers and want to know if I will send them my vector files so they can use my patterns on their routers.  This is just like asking to steal, as far as I am concerned.  It isn't fair to myself, or to other scrollers that may be sitting next to the guy at a show who had to spend hours cutting his plaques while buddy pushed a button and came up with 20.  If someone wants to mass produce one of my designs, I deserve compensation from every one sold. It is difficult, if not impossible to enforce the copyright however, and I have resigned myself that people just have to live with their consciences.

I have spent literally thousands of hours learning how to make patterns that are the quality that you all have come to expect from me.  I have been learning for almost fifteen years and still learn something every single day that hopefully will improve things and make them even better.  I am not getting rich off of scroll sawing.  With the economy the way it is, it is a rough go for all of us designers like everyone else.  I see my colleagues like Charlie who has an incredible amount of talent and I know I am not alone in saying this.  Like Charlie, I do this because I LOVE to do it.  In these days where so many people dislike their jobs, I hold on with tooth and nail so that I can wake up every day and do something I love.

So with that, I will get off of my soap box and back to scrolling.  Sorry for getting so lengthy. I encourage you all to feel free to add your own creativity to my designs.  I am happy that you like the designs enough to feel that they inspired you.  Thank you so much for asking.

:) Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:03:42 am »
Very well said. I really think that people sometimes forget that designers like you and Charlie do this out of passion for the craft and for a living. The economy effects all of us, some more than others. I hope we all can hold on long enough to make it through.   :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:16:13 am »
I echo what Sheila said.  Thanks for the mention.  The sad part for me is that sometimes it IS work for me, because of the need for the income.  many times I sit down at the saw and wonder...why am I bothering?  It's no secret that I am down on myself and my luck in this area.  I do continue to do it because I love it.  Sorry, got off topic...  I don't know what else to say other than what Sheila said except maybe if you do make a cutting from someone's pattern and added changes to that pattern, a quick mention of the original designer would be cool. 
As far as copyrights go, yes it is a general hope for others' honesty.  Not too long ago I found out a rather well known designer or just well known guy in the scrolling community was selling cd's with his patterns on them.  An honest consumer emailed me saying (and showing) he had some of MY patterns on his cd.  He was a darn good friend up to that point.  To this day I haven't seen a penny from it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Making patterns and copyright...and "stealing patterns!"
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:36:51 am »
One of my best friends has a saying that fits the discussion of 'stealing patterns' designed for OUR benefit by people who love what they do and want to share their creativity.

Norm says this about guys who lie about their golf score so I will 'paraphrase' to put it into context....

"Any person who would steal another's pattern would likely drink his own bathwater!"

Norm has a 'way with words'.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

boxmaker

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »
I want to thank everyone for there responses. I enjoy making boxes. I sell what I can to pay for my wood and materials. Most people who are not woodworkers do not understand the cost to make an item, for example the cost of wood, sandpaper, blades, finishes. Sheila you are right, the money I get for my boxes barely covers the cost of materials. I do this for the reward of building something from a piece of wood, I put a little paper inside of my boxes who designed the pattern. It says Pattern Designed by: [the designers name]. I really enjoy this forum, thanks again.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 02:56:05 am »
 ;) See you in what you think, Shella, we are willing to share what we do, we can repeat what we did, it encourages. But we do not accept being robbed of our work by criminals who want to enjoy us.
I give a lot, perhaps too many, but often I find myself in court to defend myself against those who infringed my work where even dare sell outright my plans! ... >:(

woodcrafter tom

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:36:45 am »
Sheila, I support your comments 100%. When I am teaching my classes on scrolling I emphasize paying for the patterns. Unfortunately,there will always be jerks in this world who think they should have everything for free. Thanks for your input.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:08 am »
Thanks Sheila.  I appreciate your comments. Helps clear some things up.  I do a lot of redesigning but don't sell patterns.
I'm from North Dakota

cloetpatrick

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 01:22:13 pm »
Sheila, I support your comments 100%. When I am teaching my classes on scrolling I emphasize paying for the patterns. Unfortunately,there will always be jerks in this world who think they should have everything for free. Thanks for your input.

Well yes, Tom Woodcraft, It's good to hear that your students, they are on the good foot with you.
In any event, there are enough patterns or plans for free on the net does not try to cheat! ...
Also read through what is written in this forum is just so we do not give a way to make our own plan, to advise the same software to use. So more reason to cheat! ...
But yes, it has always and will always be people with a big pile in the center of their hand, they will be afraid to use! ... Domage! ...  >:(

SMF

Teknoromi