Author Topic: Stack cutting?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Stack cutting?
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:09:08 pm »
I have been cutting some oven shelf pulls today using 1/2" Poplar and want to try stack cutting at least 2 at a time which would be 1" thick or 1 1/2" if I tried 3. I would only try 2 at first. I have read about gluing tooth picks in the waste areas to hold together and my question is do I still use the same blade or would I want a more aggressive blade? Today I was using a FD TC#5 which is 13 TPI with a reverse tooth every 3rd tooth.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

UHMNL

Re: Stack cutting?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:35:15 pm »
See the replies on the Fox forum.
FD Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »
Hey Bob, I personally would not stack cut two Layers of 1/2" hardwood. I think it would to thick to save any time by stack cutting. However if you wanted to try it, I would go with a FD UR #7 or #9. As for making the stack, you could use clear packing tape, but my favorite technique is to use a hot glue gun to glue the edges of the boards. Works good for me.
Dan In Southern California

Trev80

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 06:51:18 pm »

I am going to try the hot glue gun method the next time I do a stack like dgman suggested.

So far I have only used nails and packing tape and it worked fine also.. I guess it is like most of scrolling that you need to try a few methods for things and find what you prefer. (if you do use nails make sure they are not sticking out the bottom or you will scratch your saw table to bits)

Hot glue gun sounds alot easier and more effictive though

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »
tape itself works absolute fine. I just wrap the pieces up with the usual painters tape.

You need to be careful on the outline cut, the stack might become loose if you don't do it correct. But one can always add tape when the inner cuts are done.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »
Like DGman, I wouldn't usually stack 2 pieces of 1/2" hardwoods. I try to keep my total stack to 3/4" when ever possible.

I find it useful, when stack cutting, to drill an entry hole for the outline instead of cutting from the outside to the pattern. It gives you a little more support and control as you finish the piece.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54:51 pm »

I find it useful, when stack cutting, to drill an entry hole for the outline instead of cutting from the outside to the pattern. It gives you a little more support and control as you finish the piece.
I do that as well Katie, I have just never offered that advice here!
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:32 am »

It's more about whether one cuts through the tape or leaves some of that intact to be holding the stack. But yes, making the outside cut an inside cut is a good recommendation.

scrollingdesigns

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:01 am »
Just learned something today, thats why I like this blog. I never thought about drilling a pilot whole, like mrsn said, for the outside cut when doing stack cutting. I haven't done much stack cutting yet but do plan to soon. Thanks for the info I get here.
Have a great day.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:53 am »
No on stacking 1/2"....3/4" my limit normally.  Stacking boards together is simple by using a good glue on the waste areas (especially on the corners).
It only takes a drop here n there.  Let dry for usually minutes and this eliminates the hot glue gun and waiting for it to heat and also the mess it makes.  I prefer the painters tape and pattern glued to it. 
     When doing portraits I cut the blanks a little bigger than the final size and apply drops of glue around the borders top n sides.  Thats my 2 cents. Danny:+}
Danny  :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:34:50 am »
Well I learned something too! Never even occurred to me to make that 'outline' cut as an internal cut!

Tried it yesterday and the proverbial 'light' lit brightly and I thought "Why the heck didn't I think of that?"

Thanks for that tip, Katie...see you taught an "old dog" a new trick!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »
GB, very glad to help! After I read that tip someplace and tried it I had a similar experience.

scrollingdesigns

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 09:20:50 am »
You don't have to be stacking to use the pilot whole for the last outside cut as Katie said, it is aslo a good idea for cutting single pieces as well. Tried it yesterday and it really helps because you have better control of your work, at least that is my opinion. I just keep learning good tips and tricks, thanks.

SMF

Teknoromi