Author Topic: Making a Dewalt saw stand more mobile  (Read 6140 times)

sailer5373

Making a Dewalt saw stand more mobile
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:21:27 am »
I've had my Dewalt D788 (used)for about a year now.  It came with a metal triangular stand that it was bolted to but I am finding the saw table stand very difficult to move around. The legs on this type stand make it very difficult to mount any kind of wheels. Do any of you have this problem and what did you do about it? I need this portability because of the clutter in my shop that I can't seem to get under control.   :-\

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Dewalt saw stand more mobile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 10:43:19 am »
You could mount some casters on a piece of plywood and sit (bolt) the saw to the plywood. It will make the saw higher from the floor and you may chase it around the shop trying to cut a project unless you use locking casters but it will work. Almost all of my woodworking tools are on casters (table saw. router table and even my assembly/work bench) but. the scroll saw is in a fixed spot. Get a taller stool to sit on and be sure to lock the casters and put up with a little bit more vibration and Bob's your uncle!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:52:10 am »
There is a triangular metal rollaround attachment made and someone here has it in use. BUT I can't find my notes about it. As I recall it only raises the saw about 1 1/2". The brand HTC seems to stick in my aged memory bank but I am not positive.
Frankly I got rid of my DeWalt stand, built my own and am much happier and almost vibration free and I can SIT down and work.
And mine is on 1 1/2" locking casters so on days like today I can roll it over to the garage opening and scroll in the sunshine.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:40:46 am »
Hey sailer, I am not a fan of putting casters on the DeWalt stand. I teach scroll saw at the Woodcraft store in Ventura, CA. They put casters on the demonstration saw, and I really dislike it. The stand is a little wobbly and it stands to high to saw comfortably. The best option as Graybeard stated is use a Mobile base designed for the DeWalt stand. It keeps the stand close to the ground and is very stable.
I keep my saw in a fixed place, next to my router table so I have a place to set scrolling supplies.
Here is the link for the Mobile base. It is a little expensive, but it will do what you need: http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HRS-2158-Scroll-Stand-Mobile/dp/B0001LQXYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1318087543&sr=1-1
Dan In Southern California

sailer5373

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:47 am »
I forgot to mention that this saw stand had casters mounted to a board(triangular) but I took it off cause,as dgman mentioned, it is very tippy and high this way.  The three wheels is the reason.  Maybe if I got a bigger square or rectangular peice of wood and mounted it on that it might not be so tippy.  As one of the other guys mentioned, I might have to make my own stand.  I saw one made with 4x4 legs but I can't seem to remember where.  It would certainly be solid and cut down on vibration.  Tongue Thanks  for your the suggestions so far. Kiss

DaveP

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 04:51:55 pm »
If the 2 rear legs are L shaped...

Then its a simple matter to drill through each leg, put in a piece of bar and then a wheel at either end, followed with a tap on domed cap.

Now here's the trick.. if for example you got a pair of 4" wheels, then you would drill the hole for the axle at 2 and 1/8" from the bottom.. this is so that the wheels are just off of the floor, however when you lift the front then the wheels touch and away you go.

Some thing like that.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:57:38 pm »
DaveP,
That is a good idea and I understand your design but.....The problem is.....The two legs on a DeWalt stand are on the front! The single leg is in the rear. However, it is a wider leg so maybe if a person could build an Axel wide enough to match the width of the front legs (about 20") and maintain the wheels in position, your idea would be a good one.
Keep the suggestions coming!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

DaveP

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:23:03 am »
.The problem is.....The two legs on a DeWalt stand are on the front

Doh !

Yes that could make moving / parking difficult..  :-[

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:32:19 pm »
I have the Delta 40-690, the clone/copy of the 788.  The stand is also the same as the 788's stand.  To make mine mobile, I have placed a castor something like this one http://jacobholtz.thomasnet.com/item/casters-furniture-bed-casters-glides/bed-casters/231-87-4-wb? under the single leg.  This also tilts the table towards me, as some in the forum have recommended - I'm still deciding if I like it or not.

To move the saw, I have made a sort of "T"shaped lever that goes under the top of the stand.  It lets me lift the saw and stand onto the caster so I can move it.

This arrangement is unstable so I glide the two front legs across the floor.  Not the best but it works until I find a better solution, or make my own stand.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:35:17 pm »
I shudder when I think of you moving your saw that way! One little slip on your part and the saw will topple to one side and hit the floor.
That is exactly why I got rid of my DeWalt stand and now use this.....
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 01:11:19 pm »
Graybeard, you are so right, the saw is unstable with only one leg on the floor but if I slide it on the two front legs, it's not too bad.  I am very careful and only slide it straight out from the wall when I want to use it.  (I really need to re-organize the shop but that's another story.)

If I make the cross-bar of the "T" lever wider, say 2 or even 3 feet wide, it would improve the stability and that may be what I end up doing.  Or, I may make a stand like yours (very nice, BTW, I may use it as an inspiration for a new stand) that gives more room below the table for blades, etc. 

Did you bolt your saw to the table or does it stay by it's own weight?
Jim

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:30:34 pm »
My saw is 'bolted' thru 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood on the front and lag screwed thru those two thicknesses and into the 2 x 4 cross support on the back with a 3/8" x 4"  lag screw on the back.
That little stand is made of all 2 x 4 construction grade lumber, MDF and Plywood so it is good and heavy.

I put small pieces of that 'waffle weave' drawer liner stuff under the feet of the saw and tightened it down completely.

I have since changed the casters to 1 1/2" with locking casters on the front so when I get it in place and set the 'brakes' it is very solid. Has almost totally eliminated vibration except at top speed and I never run it that fast!

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:32:49 pm by GrayBeard »

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 09:06:44 pm »
GB

Thanks for the info on your table.

Jim

DaveP

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:00 am »
For the first time ever...

I've found something thats available in the UK  :o

No good for you lot... but hey, at least it shows the wheels above the floor principal   :P

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:30:58 am by DaveP »

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:20:25 am »
yeah nice scroll saw    really its a band saw
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi